Now Playing
Share Video
Link copied!

Mets manager Terry Collins said last week that it was a possibility shortstop Wilmer Flores would move to second base upon Daniel Murphy's return from the disabled list.

Murphy is getting closer to a return, but Collins apparently couldn't wait any longer to get a glimpse of Flores at second base, as the 23-year-old infielder made his first start this season at second base Sunday against the Reds.

"This kid played fine at shortstop," Collins said, per NJ.com. "Made a couple of errors that cost us a couple of runs at times. But I looked through the league and he caught the baseball. He can play second base. He showed us that last September. And look in September, we played pretty good with Wilmer Flores playing second, with Dan at third and Ruben (Tejada) at shortstop.

"With Dan coming back, we certainly don't know what the time frame is with David (Wright) and I think this is going to be our best infield that we're going to run out there on a nightly basis."

More News