Indians catcher Carlos Santana, who is expected to primarly fill the designated hitter role for the Indians next season, has been working at third base in the Dominican Winter League, and the team considers the results so far "encouraging," the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
"It’s still very early in the process," general manager Chris Antonetti said. "Sarbie has been down there for a few days with Carlos. He’s made a couple of errors, but so far the reports have been encouraging. He made two errors in one game, but he also made a nice diving play."
Santana's most recent exposure to the position during a season was for one game with high class A Inland Empire in 2008.
"It’s not like the regular season starts when winter ball ends and we have to figure out if he’s at third base or not," said Antonetti. "We can continue the process in spring training. We really don’t have to make a decision until we start putting the club together later in camp."
Santana has made 58 appearances at third base during his minor-league career and none while in the majors.
More News
-
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Setback on rehab assignment
• -
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Rehab continues through weekend
• -
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Might return Friday
• -
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Will be evaluated this week
• -
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Begins rehab assignment
• -
Diamondbacks' Carlos Santana: Shelved by adductor strain
•






