Skip to Main Content
Now Playing

Share Video

Link copied!
Player Outlook
A lot of the prospect shine has come off Jordan Lawlar due to a mounting injury history and some uncertainty about how much he'll hit at the highest level. Lawlar's season began with him getting optioned from big-league camp March 10, as Arizona didn't entertain the idea of him beating out Geraldo Perdomo for the everyday shortstop job and only wanted Lawlar on the big-league roster if he were going to play regularly. He had surgery for a torn ligament in his thumb in late March and returned within the initial 8-to-10 week timeline in early June. He went 8-for-20 with a home run, a triple and two doubles in his first four games with Triple-A Reno before suffering a Grade 1 left hamstring strain. Lawlar's recovery may have been rushed, as he aggravated the hamstring during his rehab assignment in early July and didn't return until mid-September. He played in 119 games in 2023 and 100 games in 2022, so while Lawlar has some major injuries on his ledger, the injury-prone tag wasn't applicable prior to 2024. His dynasty value is on a tipping point this offseason, as there are merits for buying low and for cashing out. He's a priority follow early in spring training.

Fantasy Stats

Year fpts
Fantasy Points
fpts/g
Fantasy Points per Game
r
Runs
hr
Home Runs
rbi
Runs Batted In
bb
Base on Balls (Walk)
sb
Stolen Bases
avg
Batting Average
2025 .000
2024 .000
2023 4.50.3 2 2 1 .129
3y Avg. 10.1 1 1 0 .125

Fantasy News

  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Opening season in Reno

    The Diamondbacks optioned Lawlar to Triple-A Reno on Wednesday. Lawlar was given the chance to compete for a spot on the Opening Day roster during camp, but after thumb surgery and a pair of hamstring injuries limited him to just 23 total games across three minor-league stops in 2024, the expectation all along has been that the 22-year-old infielder would begin the season at Triple-A. He remains the organization's top prospect and had previously seen big-league action in 2023, so a hot start to the season in Reno could quickly put Lawlar in the mix for a promotion to the big club. Arizona has been giving Lawlar equal exposure to both third base and shortstop this spring, giving him a couple of pathways to earning playing time in the big leagues once he's deemed ready.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Will join big club when ready

    Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen said Tuesday that "nothing has changed" regarding the organization's plans for Lawlar after the team signed starting shortstop Geraldo Perdomo to a four-year extension earlier this week, Alex Weiner of ArizonaSports.com reports. "When [he] is ready to be on this team, Lawlar's gonna be on this team," Hazen said. Like Perdomo, Lawlar primarily plays shortstop, but both players are capable of playing second base and third base and could maintain everyday roles once the latter is deemed ready to return to the big leagues. After reaching the majors in 2023 and appearing in 14 games, Lawlar had been expected to push for a full-time job with the big club in 2024, but a spring thumb injury followed by a hamstring limited him to 23 games, all of which came in the minors. Lawlar is fully healthy and part of big-league camp this spring, and though regular at-bats in the majors wouldn't appear to be available heading into Opening Day, Hazen didn't dismiss the possibility of the 22-year-old making the Diamondbacks' 26-man active roster as a utility infielder if he proves during camp that he's one of the top 13 position players in the organization. Even so, the likelier outcome is that Lawlar opens the season at Triple-A Reno.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Closing in on return

    Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said Monday that he's hopeful Lawlar (hamstring) can return from the 7-day injured list at Triple-A Reno "soon," Jesse Borek of MLB.com reports. Lawlar has been limited to just 13 games this season due to a pair of hamstring injuries, but he's almost ready to return to action. Lovullo added Monday that Lawlar is likely to play winter ball this offseason in order to make up for lost time.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Out 6-8 weeks after aggravation

    Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said Wednesday that Lawlar recently aggravated his strained left hamstring and will be sidelined an additional 6-to-8 weeks, Jesse Friedman of GoPHNX.com reports. The 22-year-old began a rehab assignment in the rookie-level Arizona Complex League over the weekend, but quickly aggravated the hamstring injury he suffered in mid-June. Lawlar has played in just four games for Triple-A Reno this season due to injuries and won't be back on the field for the Aces anytime soon. A return in late August is likely the best-case scenario in what's shaping up to be a lost campaign for the Diamondbacks' top prospect.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Begins rehab in ACL

    Lawlar (hamstring) started at third base and went 0-for-3 in the Arizona Complex League on Saturday. Lawlar played seven innings in the field in the first game of his rehab. He's missed a lot of action due to injuries this season, and the Diamondbacks need him to build up at-bats before any thoughts of promoting him to the majors. To that end, it's noteworthy that he started at third base Saturday. With Geraldo Perdomo locked in at shortstop, third base becomes a potential landing spot for Lawlar.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Set for rehab assignment

    Arizona sent Lawlar (hamstring) on a rehab assignment to the Arizona Complex League on Saturday, Alex Weiner of ArizonaSports.com reports. Lawlar was placed on Triple-A Reno's 7-day injured list June 17 after sustaining a Grade 1 left hamstring strain while legging out a triple against Sacramento two days earlier. Lawlar missed the beginning of the season while recovering from a surgical procedure to repair ligament damage in his right thumb, and he played in just 11 games before the hamstring strain. The 22-year-old shortstop has gone 16-for-45 with five doubles, five stolen bases, one home run and 16 RBI in the minors this season. Lawlar will get up to game speed over a few outings in the ACL as he works his way back to Reno.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Out 4-to-6 weeks

    Diamondbacks farm director Shaun Larkin said Monday that Lawlar is expected to miss 4-to-6 weeks after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 left hamstring strain, Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports. Triple-A Reno placed him on its 7-day injured list Monday. Lawlar suffered the injury while legging out a triple for Reno in Saturday's game against Sacramento. While a Grade 1 strain is the least severe, it's still going to cost the top prospect at least a month of action. Lawlar has played just 11 games this season, having previously missed time following surgery to repair ligament damage in his right thumb.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Hurts hamstring Saturday

    Lawlar exited Triple-A Reno's 7-6 win over Sacramento in the ninth inning Saturday with a hamstring injury and will undergo an MRI on Monday, Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports. After undergoing surgery in spring training to address a torn ligament in his right thumb, Lawlar began an extended rehab assignment in the rookie-level Arizona Complex League in late May before he was finally cleared to make his 2024 debut for Reno on Tuesday. The 21-year-old shortstop had made a strong early case for a call-up to the Diamondbacks by going 8-for-20 with four extra-base hits through his first four games with Reno, but the hamstring injury now puts Lawlar at risk of another stint on the Triple-A injured list. The Diamondbacks should have a clearer idea regarding the extent of Lawlar's injury once the results of his MRI are read Monday.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Building at-bats at Reno

    Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen indicated Wednesday that Lawlar will stay at Triple-A Reno for now, Kevin Zimmerman of Arizona Sports reports. Lawlar was activated off the injured list this week and played his second game for Reno on Wednesday. With changes afoot on the Diamondbacks -- primary shortstop Geraldo Perdomo is off the IL, and manager Torey Lovullo said Blaze Alexander will see more time at third base in place of the slumping Eugenio Suarez -- it's logical to think about where Lawlar fits. "Lawlar has a huge future," Hazen said. "Where he's going to play (in the majors), I don't know. I think the challenge with Jordan right now is he had spring training and then he had six weeks of nothing, outside of what he's had recently on his rehab (assignment)." The plan is to allow Lawlar to build up at-bats at the Triple-A level, where he had just 80 plate appearances last season. While he's doing that, the organization is likely to expose him to third base.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Nearly hits cycle in debut

    Lawlar went 3-for-6 with a double, a home run, three RBI and two runs scored for Triple-A Reno on Tuesday. Lawlar, who was activated off the injured list and assigned to Reno on Tuesday, made his season debut with the Aces and flirted with a cycle. He doubled in his first at-bat then homered in the fifth inning. Lawlar was introduced to Triple-A in 2023, when he posted a .358/.438/.612 line over 16 games before making his MLB debut last September.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Joining Triple-A roster soon

    Lawlar (thumb) is expected to be activated from Triple-A Reno's 60-day injured list soon, Jesse Borek of MLB.com reports. Lawlar is working his way back from surgery to repair a ruptured UCL tendon in his right thumb. He's played three rehab games in the rookie-level Arizona Complex League, going 1-for-7 with a 1:4 K:BB in 11 plate appearances. The 21-year-old will report to Reno in short order with the hope of playing his way back onto the major-league roster. Lawlar went just 4-for-31 during his brief time with the Diamondbacks last season but remains one of the elite prospects in baseball. Geraldo Perdomo (knee) should return from the 10-day injured list before Lawlar gets a look with Arizona, but Lawlar is the club's long-term answer at shortstop once the team decides he's ready to take the reins.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Begins rehab in ACL

    Lawlar (thumb) started at shortstop and went 0-for-2 with a walk for the Diamondbacks' affiliate in the Arizona Complex League on Wednesday. Lawlar began a rehab assignment Wednesday, playing five innings in the field. He's been working his way back from a ruptured UCL tendon in his right thumb, and his rehab recently involved at-bats at the team's training facility at Salt River Fields. The plan, as outlined by Arizona farm director Shaun Larkin to Alex Weiner of Arizona Sports, is for Lawlar to get in 2-to-3 weeks of game action before joining Triple-A Reno.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Rehab games next week

    Diamondbacks farm director Shaun Larkin said Saturday that Lawlar (thumb) will play in rehab games next week in the rookie-level Arizona Complex League and is on track for a full return from Triple-A Reno's 60-day injured list in two weeks, Jesse Friedman of GoPHNX.com reports. Lawlar underwent surgery in late March to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb and has been progressing on schedule. The 21-year-old shortstop should push to join the Diamondbacks eventually but first needs to knock off some rust in the minors.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Optioned to Triple-A

    Lawlar was optioned to Triple-A Reno on Sunday. The Diamondbacks already confirmed Geraldo Perdomo as their starting shortstop to begin the season, so it's not a surprise Lawlar will open in the minors since the organization wants him to see consistent at-bats. The 21-year-old struggled in his first taste of the majors last season with a .129 average in 34 plate appearances and has just 16 games under his belt at Triple-A, though he posted a 1.050 OPS while with Reno late last year. Lawlar could be up with the Diamondbacks before long to receive a starting chance if Perdomo falters.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Needs consistent at-bats

    Arizona general manager Mike Hazen said Lawlar would need consistent at-bats if he were to make the Opening Day roster, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports. Lawlar was left off Gilbert's initial roster projection, which generated pushback from unhappy readers. Gilbert explained his projection was based on the language used by Hazen regarding the Diamondbacks' prospect. It's natural for the organization to give Lawlar a path to consistent playing time, but that's unlikely to happen if he's backing up Geraldo Perdomo at shortstop -- manager Torey Lovullo confirmed Perdomo would be the starter last week -- and Eugenio Suarez at third base. Given that scenario, it makes sense for the Diamondbacks to have Lawlar play everyday at Triple-A Reno, where he had just 80 plate appearances in 2023.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: On bench Tuesday

    Lawlar is not in the lineup Tuesday against the Giants. Lawlar has gone 3-for-20 (.150) with zero extra-base hits and eight strikeouts in eight major-league games since being called up Sept. 7 from Triple-A Reno. It appears the talented 21-year-old infielder will be a part-time player for the Diamondbacks down the stretch.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Sitting Friday

    Lawlar isn't in Arizona's lineup Friday against the Cubs. Lawlar has gone just 2-for-17 at the plate through the first six games of his MLB career, so the D-backs will sit him against Justin Steele. Geraldo Perdomo will fill in at shortstop while Evan Longoria covers third base Friday.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: On bench Thursday

    Lawlar is not in the lineup Thursday against the Mets. Lawlar has gone 2-for-16 (.125) with no walks and seven strikeouts in five major-league games since his promotion from Triple-A Reno last week. Geraldo Perdomo will start at shortstop and bat ninth for the Diamondbacks on Thursday as Emmanuel Rivera covers third base and hits eighth.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Sitting Sunday

    Lawlar (hand) is out of the lineup for Sunday's game against the Cubs. The rookie shortstop exited Saturday's contest after being hit by a pitch on his right hand, though according to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, manager Torey Luvollo said Lawlar's hand is fine and he's simply receiving a day off. Geraldo Perdomo will shift to shortstop while Emmanuel Rivera starts at the hot corner.
    ... See More ... See Less
  • Diamondbacks' Jordan Lawlar: Bats second, HBP

    Lawlar batted second and was hit by a pitch on a knuckle of his right hand in Saturday's 3-2 extra-inning win over the Cubs, Theo Mackie of the Arizona Republic reports. He remained in the game but is considered day-to-day. Lawlar, who was hit by a pitch in the top of the 10th inning, stayed in the game and eventually scored the game-winning run. He also made a nice defensive play in the bottom of the 10th, but the Diamondbacks are awaiting results of imaging conducted following the game before making a determination of his status for the series finale Sunday. The prospect made a third consecutive start since being promoted from Triple-A Reno, and manager Torey Lovullo moved him up in the batting order against a left-hander. Lawlar batted eighth in his first two starts, which came against right-handers. He has one hit in 11 at-bats and has struck out six times over 12 plate appearances.
    ... See More ... See Less

Recent Tweets