Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Gleyber Torres 2B | DET

    Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Day-to-day with back tightness

    Torres is day-to-day with mid-back tightness, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports.

    Torres was pulled early from Monday's game with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He'll sit out Tuesday as well but is expected to be back in the lineup Wednesday. His hot start (.366/.386/.537 through 11 games) is fueling speculation about a promotion to the big leagues, though the Yankees haven't given any indication that a promotion is imminent.

  • Taylor Motter 2B | STL

    Mariners' Taylor Motter: Keeps on hitting Monday

    Motter went 2-for-3 in a 2-1 win over the Astros on Monday.

    Motter drew a second straight start at first base and followed up his home run Sunday with his first multi-hit effort of the season. The versatile 28-year-old projects to continue seeing steady playing time as long as Ryon Healy (ankle) remains sidelined, and his ability to fill in at multiple other positions should afford him additional opportunities.

  • Gleyber Torres 2B | DET

    Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Removed early, no promotion forthcoming

    Torres was pulled early from Monday's game at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre as a precaution due to stiffness and cold weather, Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com reports.

    There was speculation that Torres was taken out early because of an impending promotion to the big club, but that wasn't the case. The Yankees' No. 1 prospect was experiencing some stiffness, so he was removed from the game. New York must wait until Tuesday to call Torres up in order to get an extra year of service time, although there's no indication that he'll make his major-league debut just yet.

  • Rays' Christian Arroyo: Hits minor-league DL

    Arroyo was placed on the minor-league disabled list Monday with a calf strain, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

    Arroyo was hitting just .200/.259/.240 through 27 plate appearances with Triple-A Durham before suffering the injury. The severity of the issue remains unclear at this point, leaving his return timetable up in the air. He'll be eligible for activation next week Monday should he be ready.

  • Athletics' Franklin Barreto: Returns to minors

    Barreto was optioned to Triple-A Nashville on Monday, Julian McWilliams of The Athletic Bay Area reports.

    The top prospect appeared just once during his time in the big leagues, but never logged an at-bat. Barreto still poses as a major part of the Athletics' future, but he'll bide his time in the minors a bit longer. Chad Pinder returned from the disabled list to replace him on the active roster.

  • Yankees' Brandon Drury: Still experiencing symptoms

    Drury (impaired vision) said he is still dealing with blurred vision and migraines, Lindsey Adler of The Athletic New York reports.

    Drury was prescribed an anti inflammatory by a migraine doctor and is still awaiting test results from a series of examinations he underwent last week. He said his symptoms worsen with physical activity, but he's hoping his most recent round of testing will help resolve the issue once and for all. That said, he remains without a concrete return date, though he was able to take some batting practice and field grounders Monday.

  • Gleyber Torres 2B | DET

    Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Wins weekly award

    Torres was named the International League batter of the week Monday, Conor Foley of the Times-Tribune reports.

    Torres is off to a blazing start for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, hitting .385/.405/.564 through his first 10 games. That comes on the heels of a 23-game sample at the same level last season in which he hit .309/.406/.457. There haven't been any reports that a promotion for the 21-year-old is imminent, but he has little left to prove in the minors, and with the deadline to secure an extra year of team control already passed, the Yankees could elect to call him up at any moment.

  • Marcus Semien 2B | NYM

    Athletics' Marcus Semien: Pair of hits in Sunday's victory

    Semien went 2-for-4 with a run in a 2-1 win over the Mariners on Sunday.

    Semien and Jed Lowrie had the only multi-hit outings for the Athletics in the pitchers' duel. The 27-year-old has only one home run through his first 15 games, but he's been a consistent force at the plate in April; factoring in Sunday's production, he's now reached safely in all 13 games during the month.

  • Jose Altuve 2B | HOU

    Astros' Jose Altuve: Doing what he do

    Altuve had one of the Astros' three hits in Sunday's 3-1 extra-inning loss to the Rangers.

    It was a frustrating night for the entire Houston lineup, which was the object of Bartolo Colon's perfect game through seven innings. Altuve eventually got on base in the ninth via a single, the 21st base hit of the season for the AL's reigning MVP and MLB's batting champion in 2017. He has at least one hit in 14 of 16 games played while reaching base safely in 15, supporting a .344 batting average and .406 on-base percentage to open the 2018 season.

  • Taylor Motter 2B | STL

    Mariners' Taylor Motter: Hits first homer

    Motter went 1-for-3 with a solo home run in Sunday's loss to the Athletics.

    It was just Motter's third start of the season, and the home run was only the second hit on the year for the 28-year-old. Motter punished Triple-A pitchers last year to the tune of a .350/.427/.640 slash line at Tacoma, but his bat has yet to catch up in the big leagues. Until Ryon Healy (ankle) returns, Motter should continue seeing the occasional opportunity at first base.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola