MLB Player News

  • Dodgers' Austin Barnes: Officially wins backup catcher job

    With Bobby Wilson being reassigned to the minors, Barnes has officially won the Dodgers' backup catcher job out of camp, Bill Plunkett of The Orange County Register reports.

    The Dodgers plan on using Yasmani Grandal as more than just a platoon catcher this season, so Barnes will be limited to a start or two per week. The 27-year-old won't generate fantasy interest unless Grandal were to go down to injury.

  • Diamondbacks' Oscar Hernandez: Optioned to Double-A

    Hernandez was optioned to Double-A Jackson on Thursday.

    The Diamondbacks made a pair of roster moves to clear a spot for J.J. Hoover, whose contract was selected Thursday. Hernandez fared well this spring, slashing .294/.368/.647 with a pair of home runs, but the Diamondbacks had to cut down on the number of catchers they'll be carrying with Opening Day rapidly approaching. He'll begin the season at Double-A.

  • Padres' Austin Hedges: Homers twice Wednesday

    Hedges had a big day at the plate Wednesday, going 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs and four RBI in a spring training tie against the White Sox.

    The young catcher had been mired in a 1-for-20 slump since returning from a minor hamstring injury, so Wednesday's outburst is a good sign that he is back on track as we approach Opening Day. Even with his mid-spring slump, Hedges boasts a .310/.341/.524 slash line through 17 games, numbers closer to his excellent 2016 Triple-A numbers (.326/.353/.597). The 24-year-old will handle the Padres' starting catcher duties, making him an intriguing deep-league target in the event he breaks out in his first year as a full-time starter.

  • Pirates' Chris Stewart: Scheduled for consecutive games later in week

    Stewart (groin) is expected to appear in back-to-back nine-inning games later this week, Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

    The backstop was scratched due to groin soreness last week, but it seems like he's nearing game action after slowly ramping up his activity over the past few days. As long as his rehab process goes without a hitch, Stewart should be able to resume his position as the backup catcher for Francisco Cervelli soon.

  • Mets' Kevin Plawecki: Sent to Triple-A Las Vegas

    Plawecki was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas on Tuesday, Marc Carig of Newsday reports.

    Plawecki had a respectable showing over 13 Grapefruit League games. While he went 7-for-26 (.269) with a home run, he also struck out eight times. As long as Travis d'Arnaud and Rene Rivera stay healthy, Plawecki will likely remain at the Triple-A level for most of the upcoming season.

  • Pirates' Chris Stewart: Catches from pitching machine

    Stewart (groin) caught off a pitching machine Monday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Bill Brink reports.

    Stewart has been dealing with left groin discomfort since Friday. However, an MRI came back negative Saturday, and this step in his rehab process may keep him on track to be available for Opening Day. That said, Francisco Cervelli is expected to claim the vast majority of the catching duties this season. The 35-year-old Stewart said he felt fine after catching the machine, but did not really test himself, so his status will remain uncertain until he does.

  • Brewers' Tyler Heineman: Dealt to Brewers

    Heineman was traded by the Astros to the Brewers on Sunday for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

    The catcher had been sent down to Houston's minor league camp on March 19, and the minors is where he will report when he joins the Brewers. Heineman didn't do much in big league camp with the Astros this spring, recording just one hit in 11 at-bats, and will likely open the season with Triple-A Colorado Springs.

  • Reds' Devin Mesoraco: Unlikely to be ready for Opening Day

    Reds manager Bryan Price said Sunday that Mesoraco (hip, shoulder) is "very unlikely" to be ready for Opening Day, Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

    Mesoraco hasn't experienced any setbacks on the health front after requiring surgeries the last two seasons on both hips and his shoulder, but the lack of at-bats he's received in spring training hasn't adequately prepared him to be available on a regular basis. It's expected that the 28-year-old will remain in extended spring training when the season begins in order to get more games under his belt, and if all goes well, Mesoraco could be activated by April. It's expected that Mesoraco will eventually displace Tucker Barnhart as the Reds' primary catcher, though the two backstops could share duties at the position in the early going.

  • Cameron Rupp C | MIN

    Phillies' Cameron Rupp: Not hitting well this spring

    Rupp went 0-for-3 and left four runners on base in Saturday's 3-3 tie with the Red Sox.

    It was a tough game for Rupp, who has just five hits in 31 at-bats this spring. Despite the slow start, Rupp is at no risk of losing his job to anyone. However, he will need to produce during the regular season to hold off top prospect Jorge Alfaro -- who's waiting for his opportunity in the majors at Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

  • Pirates' Chris Stewart: MRI comes back clean

    An MRI came back clean for Stewart (groin) and he doesn't expect to miss too much time. "I'm optimistic for Opening Day," Stewart told DK Pittsburgh Sports.

    The catcher has appeared in only six Grapefruit League games, but has looked rejuvenated behind the plate. Elias Diaz would likely serve as Francisco Cervelli's backup if Stewart is forced to miss any April action.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola