MLB Player News

  • Jose Abreu 1B | HOU

    Jose Abreu showing ability to hit to all fields

    The questions continue to pour in about new White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu. Manager Robin Ventura is the latest to offer his opinion about the Cuban infielder after scouting him during the team's minicamp last week.

    "Again, you are just watching him take batting practice and things like that," Ventura told MLB.com. "But he's got a good swing, it comes off of his bat really nice. He looks like a professional hitter. That's more than probably people gave him credit for.

    "He doesn't look like just a guy who is trying to yank everything down the left-field line. He does have the ability to hit it the other way, which turns out to be what you need to survive in the game."

  • Carlos Santana 1B | ARI

    Indians not ready to make any decisions about starting 3B

    While Carlos Santana seems pretty confident he could handle playing third base regularly, Indians manager Terry Francona isn't ready to rush to any decisions about who will be the team's primary third baseman in 2014.

    "We don't need to make any kind of decisions today, nor will we at the beginning of spring training," Francona said, per MLB.com. "I've never even seen the guy play third. ... We've got a lot of time to let that play out."

  • Carlos Santana 1B | ARI

    Carlos Santana believes he's ready to play regularly at 3B

    Carlos Santana told ESPNDeportes.com if the season started today, he believes he would play regularly at third base. Santana, who hasn't played at third base since 2008, is also expected to see playing time at first base and DH as the Indians hand the starting catcher duties over to Yan Gomes.

  • Jose Abreu 1B | HOU

    White Sox already raving about Jose Abreu

    White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu, who signed a six-year, $68 million contract in October, took part in Tuesday's minicamp and gave White Sox personnel plenty to rave about.

    "That's a strong man right here," White Sox hitting coach Todd Steverson told MLB.com. "That's a big man. He has a nice smooth, compact approach. He didn't try to do too much with the ball and the ball was flying off his bat. I think he has a nice bright future coming up with him."

    White Sox general manager Rick Hahn is doing his best to temper his excitement, but he was having a hard time doing so after watching Abreu take several rounds of batting practice.

    "We try to keep in mind that it's Jan. 14 and we still have a ways to go," Hahn said. "But just watching Jose go through his work, you saw that professionalism as well as the plus-plus power on display today in only his first couple of rounds of BP. He's a very serious hitter. He's one who goes up there with a plan and has a great deal of ability, and it's going to be fun to see how this plays out over the next couple of years."

  • Carlos Santana 1B | ARI

    Carlos Santana 'working hard' learning to play third base

    The Indians continue to toy with the idea of using Carlos Santana at third base. Santana hasn't played third base since he was a minor leaguer with the Dodgers, but he's playing third base in the Dominican Winter League to increase his versatility.

    Though, it's been a shaky transition for Santana, who committed four errors in his first eight games playing third in the Dominican Winter League.

    "The most important thing is that he's working hard at it," Indians general manager Chris Antonetti told MLB.com. "He's committed to being the best player he can be at the position, which is great. That's all we're looking for at this point. We're months away from having to make any sort of evaluations or decisions."

  • Chris Carter 1B | LAA

    Astros will have 'heated competition' for first-base job

    During an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Astros manager Bo Porter gave no indication who might start at first base. The Astros have plenty of candidates, though, including Brett Wallace, Jesus Guzman, Chris Carter and prospect Jonathan Singleton.

    "It’s going to be a heated competition," Porter said. "I like the guys that we have. At the end of the day, I believe that the player that ends up winning the first-base job will obviously make our lineup and make us a better team."

  • C.J. Cron 1B | BOS

    C.J. Cron on track for 2014 MLB debut?

    MLB.com Angels' beat writer Alden Gonzalez suggests Angels first base prospect C.J. Cron could make his MLB debut as soon as the middle of the 2014 season. Gonzalez feels Cron could be an option at DH for the Angels this season.

    Cron is considered the Angels' second-best prospect by MLB.com. Cron hit .274 with a .428 slugging percentage and .746 OPS in 134 games for Double-A Arkansas in 2013. He had 14 home runs, 36 doubles and 83 RBI.

    Gonzalez said Cron struggled with some of the bigger parks in the Texas League. However, Cron did very well in the prospect-laden Arizona Fall League, batting .413 with a .700 slugging percentage and 1.167 OPS in 20 games. He also had one triple, five home runs, six doubles and 20 RBI.

  • Chris Colabello rejects Korea offer

    Twins first baseman Chris Colabello has rejected an offer to play in the Korea Baseball Organization, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

    The Twins have reportedly been in discussions with at least one KBO team to send Colabello to South Korea for a buyout that could have been upwards of $1 million. Colabello hit .352/.427/.639 with 24 home runs and 76 RBI in 338 at-bats at the Triple-A level last season.

  • Twins considering sending Chris Colabello to Korea

    The Twins are having discussions with at least one Korea Baseball Organization league team about sending first baseman Chris Colabello to Korea for a buyout fee that could be upwards of $1 million, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

    Colabellohit .194/.287/.344 with seven home runs and 17 RBI in 160 at-bats with the Twins during his rookie season. He enjoyed a breakout season in Triple-A, however, hitting .352/.427/.639 with 24 home runs and 76 RBI in 338 at-bats.

    The Twins are looking to clear a 40-man roster spot after agreeing to a contract with catcher Kurt Suzuki.

  • Carlos Santana 1B | ARI

    Indians encouraged by Carlos Santana's work at third base

    Indians catcher Carlos Santana, who is expected to primarly fill the designated hitter role for the Indians next season, has been working at third base in the Dominican Winter League, and the team considers the results so far "encouraging," the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    "It’s still very early in the process," general manager Chris Antonetti said. "Sarbie has been down there for a few days with Carlos. He’s made a couple of errors, but so far the reports have been encouraging. He made two errors in one game, but he also made a nice diving play."

    Santana's most recent exposure to the position during a season was for one game with high class A Inland Empire in 2008.

    "It’s not like the regular season starts when winter ball ends and we have to figure out if he’s at third base or not," said Antonetti. "We can continue the process in spring training. We really don’t have to make a decision until we start putting the club together later in camp."

    Santana has made 58 appearances at third base during his minor-league career and none while in the majors.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola