MLB Player News
-
Brett Baty 3B | NYM
Mets' Brett Baty: Recovering from tweaked hamstring
Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Tuesday that Baty will be eased into spring training action after experiencing hamstring discomfort during offseason workout two weeks ago, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports.
It doesn't sound like an overly serious issue for Baty, but the Mets are going to bring him along slowly early in camp. Baty figures to have a chance to beat out top prospect Carson Benge for the starting job in right field this spring, but if he doesn't, Baty is still projected to see plenty of playing time around the diamond in a utility role in 2026.
-
Austin Riley 3B | ATL
Braves' Austin Riley: Confident after normal offseason
Riley didn't have any limitations this offseason and worked with Atlanta hitting coach Tim Hyers on finding his old swing, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.
The third baseman underwent sports hernia surgery in early August that ended his 2025 campaign prematurely, but he was fully recovered in time to get back to his normal offseason routine. That's a marked contrast to the previous offseason, when hand surgery left Riley in a cast until January and had him playing catchup during spring training. While he missed a total of 112 regular-season games over the prior two seasons, Riley appears to be in good shape to regain the form that saw him average 36 homers, 99 RBI and 159.3 games played from 2021-23.
-
Eugenio Suarez 3B | CIN
Reds' Eugenio Suarez: Taking first base reps
Suarez is taking reps at first base to start each day of spring training, Charlie Goldsmith of The Dayton Daily News reports. "I'm a guy who likes work," Suarez said. "I want to be better at first base. I know they're going to need me there."
Suarez is still likely to get most of his starts as the Reds' designated hitter, with Ke'Bryan Hayes starting at third base and either Sal Stewart or Spencer Steer playing first base, but every bit of flexibility helps. Suarez played the first three games at first base of his major league career last season.
-
Tyler Freeman 3B | COL
Rockies' Tyler Freeman: Nursing back issue
Freeman has been slowed early on in Rockies camp by back soreness, MLB.com reports.
Freeman was given an anti-inflammatory injection weeks before camp opened and the hope is that he will be cleared for full activities soon. The 26-year-old slashed .281/.354/.361 with two home runs and 18 stolen bases for Colorado in 2025 and, assuming health, appears slated for a utility role in 2026.
-
Bryan Ramos 3B | STL
Cardinals' Bryan Ramos: DFA'd by St. Louis
The Cardinals designated Ramos for assignment Monday, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
Ramos was scooped up by St. Louis via waivers earlier this month and could now be on the move again. The 23-year-old infielder has slashed just .198/.244/.333 in a limited sample at the big-league level and hit .216/.309/.396 with 16 home runs in 2025 at Triple-A Charlotte in the White Sox organization.
-
Santiago Espinal 3B | CIN
Dodgers' Santiago Espinal: Grabs MiLB deal from Dodgers
The Dodgers signed Espinal to a minor-league contract Monday that includes an invitation to spring training, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.
He will likely begin the season at Triple-A Oklahoma City, but Espinal provides the Dodgers with some experienced infield depth while Tommy Edman (ankle) and Enrique Hernandez (elbow) are shelved. The 31-year-old slashed only .243/.292/.282 with zero home runs over 114 regular-season contests in 2025 with the Reds.
-
Tyler Locklear 3B | ARI
Diamondbacks' Tyler Locklear: Aiming for mid-May return
Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said Sunday that Locklear (shoulder/elbow) is trending toward a return around mid-May to early June, Alex Weiner of ArizonaSports.com reports.
Locklear will be a spectator for spring training while he continues to recover from Oct. 16 surgeries to address a torn labrum in his left shoulder and a torn ligament in his left elbow. Before suffering the two arm injuries in a Sept. 7 collision at first base with Boston's Connor Wong, Locklear slashed .175/.267/.262 with a 37.1 percent strikeout rate over 116 plate appearances with Arizona after coming over from Seattle in a trade-deadline deal. Locklear has a minor-league option remaining, so he could end up sticking around with Arizona's Triple-A affiliate in Reno once he completes his rehab process and gets activated from the injured list.
-
Alec Bohm 3B | PHI
Phillies' Alec Bohm: Favorite for cleanup role
Bohm is the most likely option to bat fourth in Philadelphia's lineup this season, Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports.
Manager Rob Thomson also mentioned Adolis Garcia and J.T. Realmuto as candidates for the cleanup role in 2026. Nick Castellanos, who signed with the Padres on Saturday, handled the majority of the cleanup duties a year ago, and it's possible the Phillies will use spring training as an audition to determine who's next in line as their primary No. 4 hitter. Bohm bounced around the batting order last season and ended up spending around half his time in the lower half of the lineup, so it's encouraging to hear he's in pole position to hit cleanup this spring.
-
Luis Rengifo 2B | MIL
Brewers' Luis Rengifo: Signs one-year deal with Brewers
The Brewers signed Rengifo to a one-year contract Friday, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports.
Rengifo had a disappointing walk year with the Angels last season, slashing just .238/.287/.335 with nine home runs and 10 stolen bases over 147 contests. However, he hit a solid .273/.323/.431 across the three seasons prior to that and will turn just 29 later this month. Rengifo should be the new favorite to start at third base for Milwaukee, though he also offers the versatility to operate in a super-utility role, if that's what the club prefers.
-
Max Muncy 3B | LAD
Dodgers' Max Muncy: Inks one-year contract extension
The Dodgers signed Muncy to a one-year, $7 million contract extension Thursday. The deal includes a $10 million club option (or $3 million buyout) for 2028.
Muncy was already locked in for the 2026 season after the club picked up his $10 million option, and he's now guaranteed another $10 million through the end of the 2027 campaign. The 35-year-old has battled injuries the last two seasons but has remained very good with the bat, having slashed .243/.376/.470 with 19 home runs across 100 regular-season tilts in 2025. Muncy is slated to be the Dodgers' primary third baseman again in 2026.