MLB Player News
-
Noelvi Marte 3B | CIN
Reds' Noelvi Marte: Taking reps with prospects
While Marte is attending big-league spring training, he's taking his reps with the other prospects in camp, and not with the Reds' lineup regulars, Charlie's Chalkboard reports.
The third base job is wide open, and while Marte technically has a shot to win the job, the way the Reds are handling him to begin spring training buttresses earlier notions that he'll begin the season at Triple-A Louisville. Jeimer Candelario, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Gavin Lux and even Santiago Espinal all have better chances to win the third base job on Opening Day.
-
Rafael Devers 3B | SF
Red Sox's Rafael Devers: Still building up shoulder strength
Devers has been doing separate infield and cage work away from other Red Sox players as he continues to build up strength following last year's shoulder injuries, Jen McCaffrey of The Athletic reports.
Devers had problems with both shoulders during the 2024 season, although his left (non-throwing) shoulder was considered to be the bigger issue. He avoided surgery but is being eased into action this spring. Devers is expected to begin regular workouts with the team next week, and if that happens as scheduled, injury concerns should dissipate. However, if he's delayed, it will be time to raise a red flag. Earlier this week, Devers expressed an unwillingness to move off third base this season to accommodate Alex Bregman, but the 28-year-old could wind up at designated hitter even if that's not his preference.
-
Bryan Ramos 3B | STL
White Sox's Bryan Ramos: Not yet throwing in camp
Ramos (elbow) said Wednesday that he's continued to hit and field grounders during the White Sox's full-squad workouts, but he has yet to begin a throwing program, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports. "Right now I'm feeling pretty good. I've been hitting. I've been doing pretty much everything," Ramos said. "The only thing I haven't been doing is throwing for now."
Ramos is managing a sore right elbow, but at this point in spring training, the issue isn't anything that is expected to keep him from being ready to go for Opening Day. That said, his initial game action during the Cactus League is likely to come at designated hitter, and he'll need to show that he can throw across the diamond at full velocity without discomfort before he's cleared to play in the infield. Ramos reached the big leagues for the first time last season, slashing .202/.252/.333 with three home runs and 11 RBI in 107 plate appearances across two stints with the White Sox.
-
Aaron Schunk 3B | ATL
Rockies' Aaron Schunk: Booted off 40-man roster
The Rockies designated Schunk for assignment Wednesday, Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post reports.
The transaction frees up a spot on the 40-man roster for Scott Alexander, who was signed Wednesday. Schunk managed just a .595 OPS in 39 games with the Rockies in 2024, but he can play all over the infield and has minor-league options, so he could draw interest via trade or waivers.
-
Michael Busch 3B | CHC
Cubs' Michael Busch: Gets potential platoon partner
Busch could form a platoon with the newly signed Justin Turner at first base in 2025, Patrick Mooney of The Athletic reports.
Busch, a left-handed hitter, would presumably be on the strong side of a platoon with Turner, who bats from the right side and would likely be deployed against southpaws. The veteran Turner is also an option to see time at DH. While Busch still appears to be locked into a fairly sizeable role, Turner represents an option with an extensive and successful body of work at the MLB level. If Busch gets off to a slow start, Turner could see his role grow at his teammate's expense.
-
DJ LeMahieu 2B | NYY
Yankees' DJ LeMahieu: Extended rest over winter
LeMahieu said Tuesday that he took two months off from hitting over the offseason in order to give his body and mind a "reset" following a difficult 2024 campaign, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.
LeMahieu was limited to just 67 regular-season contests in 2024, as he first battled a fractured foot and later a hip injury that ended his season in September. The 36-year-old is healthy now and has been working with the Yankees' training staff in order to keep it that way for the duration of the 2025 season. LeMahieu is competing for the third-base job and might be the favorite to win it, but with just a .698 OPS over the last four seasons, nothing will be handed to him.
-
Junior Caminero 3B | TB
Rays' Junior Caminero: Pops homer in live BP
Caminero slugged a home run Tuesday during a live batting practice session against Rays right-hander Shane Baz, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
Caminero is continuing to put his power on full display in the early stages of spring training following a spectacular showing in the Dominican Winter League. While playing for Leones del Escogido, Caminero batted .417 with four home runs and 28 RBI across 22 total games, and the 21-year-old provided perhaps the highlight of the DWL season with a tie-breaking 454-foot solo shot in the top of the ninth inning of Game 7 of the championship series to lead his team to a title. The impressive performance over the winter came after Caminero had a solid, yet somewhat underwhelming run at the MLB level upon receiving a call-up to the Rays last August, slashing .248/.299/.424 with six home runs and two stolen bases over his 177 plate appearances. Now preparing for his first full season in the majors, Caminero should be feeling less pressure to compete for a roster spot this spring, as the Rays have seemingly cleared the way for him to be their everyday third baseman. Though his immense power will likely play well in any ballpark, Caminero's home-run projection should get at least a slight boost while the Rays leave the domed Tropicana Field to play their 2025 home games outdoors in Tampa at Steinbrenner Field, which mimics Yankee Stadium's more hitter-friendly dimensions.
-
Coby Mayo 3B | BAL
Orioles' Coby Mayo: Vote of confidence from GM
General manager Mike Elias said Mayo is poised to be a "huge contributor" for the Orioles this year and will get "a strong look and every opportunity" this spring, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports.
Of course, there's not a clear spot for Mayo to play, but at least Elias said all the right things about the young corner infielder who has nothing left to prove offensively at Triple-A but who struggled mightily in a brief cup of coffee in the majors last season. Mayo said he learned a lot about how competitive it is at the highest level and he's looking to prove he belongs this year. "I think an opportunity will present itself if you can show out and if I can do what I can do," Mayo said. He'll be playing third and first base this spring, but Mayo plans on putting in as much time as possible to prove he can stick at third base. Two productive veterans in Ryan Mountcastle and Ryan O'Hearn are expected to play first base and designated hitter, respectively, and if Jackson Holliday earns the second-base job, Jordan Westburg will play third base, leaving Mayo out of a spot. However, Mayo is the next man up in several scenarios.
-
Jeimer Candelario 3B | LAA
Reds' Jeimer Candelario: Getting shot at third base
Cincinnati manager Terry Francona said Tuesday that he wants to give Candelario a shot to start at third base, because it sets the team up better, C. Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic reports.
Candelario will be one of several players who will see time at the hot corner during spring training. In addition to Candelario, the group includes Gavin Lux, Christian Encarnacion-Strand and Noelvi Marte. Prospect Cam Collier will also be in the mix. Candelario added weight during the offseason, but he said it's redistributed and wants to add another five pounds to help get him through the regular season. He missed the final month-and-a-half of the 2024 season due to a toe injury and appeared in 112 games overall during the campaign.
-
Rafael Devers 3B | SF
Red Sox's Rafael Devers: Expresses unwillingness to DH
Devers said Monday that he views himself as a third baseman and would be unwilling to serve as a designated hitter in 2025, Jen McCaffrey of The Athletic reports. "Third base is my position. I don't know what [the team's] plans are. I made it clear my desires and whatever happens, we'll see," Devers said through a translator.
Devers has made 942 of his 951 career MLB starts at third base, but his poor defense at the hot corner had already called into question his long-term future at the position, and the Red Sox's signing of Alex Bregman last week has only further fueled the notion that Boston is looking to move Devers off third base. Manager Alex Cora has yet to make any formal pronouncements about the makeup of the Boston infield for 2025, as the possibility exists that Bregman could be used at second base to keep Devers at his normal position. However, prospect Kristian Campbell has worked out exclusively at the keystone so far during camp and could eventually settle in as a full-time regular at the position whenever Boston deems him big-league ready. Whether he stays at third base or is eventually asked to move to DH or first base, Devers should retain a spot in the heart of the Red Sox lineup, coming off a 2024 season in which he hit. 272 with 28 home runs, 83 RBI and 87 runs over 138 games.