MLB Player News
-
Weston Wilson 3B | SEA
Mariners' Weston Wilson: Catches on with Seattle
The Mariners signed Wilson to a minor-league contract Sunday and assigned him to Triple-A Tacoma.
Wilson has gotten off to a hot start at the plate since reporting to Tacoma earlier this week, going 6-for-9 with a double, a walk and a pair of stolen bases in his first two games. The 31-year-old had previously spent the start of the season with the Orioles, slashing .231/.348/.333 over 46 plate appearances in 21 games before being pushed off the 40-man roster earlier this month and electing free agency upon clearing waivers.
-
Daulton Varsho CF | HOU
Blue Jays' Daulton Varsho: Return on Saturday not ruled out
Blue Jays manager John Schneider said Thursday that Varsho (wrist) could be activated from the 10-day injured list when first eligible Saturday, but he will "have to do a lot today and tomorrow" in order to make that happen, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Varsho resumed hitting this week as he works his way back from left wrist inflammation. If the outfielder is not quite ready to return to the active roster this weekend, he might need a rehab game or two in order to knock the rust off. Nathan Lukes and Myles Straw have been handling center field for Toronto since Varsho went down.
-
Anthony Santander RF | TOR
Blue Jays' Anthony Santander: Could resume hitting soon
Santander (shoulder) could resume hitting within the next week, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Santander underwent surgery to repair the labrum in his left shoulder in February, but he "could definitely be a factor" for the Blue Jays by August, manager John Schneider said Thursday. A timetable for Santander's return won't become clearer until he's ready for a rehab assignment, and he will need the equivalent of a full spring training's worth of at-bats before being activated.
-
Lenyn Sosa 2B | TOR
Blue Jays' Lenyn Sosa: Rehab games around the corner
Sosa (wrist) could begin a rehab assignment next week, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Out since late May with a right wrist contusion, Sosa has been hitting and going through defensive drills as the Blue Jays' spring training complex in Florida. He is likely a week or so away from playing in games and should rejoin the Blue Jays around July 1.
-
Addison Barger 3B | TOR
Blue Jays' Addison Barger: Rehab could be pushed to next week
Barger (elbow) might not begin a rehab assignment until early next week, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Barger continues to make progress with his right elbow inflammation but could need an additional few more days than expected to ramp up activities before he's cleared to play in games. He should still be able to return to the Blue Jays' active roster before the end of June.
-
Steven Kwan LF | CLE
Guardians' Steven Kwan: Exiting starting lineup
Kwan is absent from the lineup for Thursday's game in Milwaukee.
The left-handed-hitting Kwan is slashing just .162/.284/.203 versus lefty pitchers this season, and this is the fifth time over the last seven contests that he's been out of the lineup against a southpaw (in this case, Shane Drohan). David Fry will handle left field and Stuart Fairchild will play center field for the Guardians.
-
George Springer DH | TOR
Blue Jays' George Springer: Pilfers two bags in win
Springer went 0-for-3 with two stolen bases in Wednesday's win over the Red Sox.
The Blue Jays evidently liked seeing Mickey Gasper working behind the plate for Boston, as they went 5-for-5 on steal attempts against him during the game. Springer's thefts both came in the third inning after he was hit by a Jake Bennett pitch, but he was left stranded at third base by a Kazuma Okamoto groundout. Springer has just six stolen bases on the season to go along with a .212/.308/.369 slash line, seven home runs, 19 RBI and 22 runs in 52 contests, but three of those steals have come in the last two games.
-
Andres Gimenez SS | TOR
Blue Jays' Andres Gimenez: Swipes three bags Wednesday
Gimenez went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI and three stolen bases in Wednesday's win over the Red Sox.
The Blue Jays evidently liked seeing Mickey Gasper working behind the plate for Boston, as they went 5-for-5 on steal attempts against him during the game. It was the third three-steal game of Gimenez's career, and his first since July 6, 2023 when he was still playing for Cleveland. It was also the 27-year-old infielder's fourth multi-hit performance in the last 10 contests, a stretch in which he's slashing .355/.394/.548 with three doubles, a homer, four RBI and six runs in addition to Wednesday's thefts.