MLB Player News

  • Ryan Howard 1B | COL

    Phillies' Ryan Howard: Files defamation lawsuit against Al Jazeera

    Howard (knee) has filed a defamation lawsuit against Al Jazeera network, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

    Al Jazeera ran a report last month that said Howard and other professional athletes used the performance-enhancing substance Delta 2. Howard denies using Delta 2 or any performance-enhancing substance banned by MLB.

  • Ryan Howard 1B | COL

    Phillies' Ryan Howard: Documentary alleges use of HGH

    An investigative documentary which will air Sunday on Al Jazeera alleges that Howard (knee) received human growth hormones from a Texas-based pharmacist, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

    Howard has denied he has used HGH. The claim that Howard and other professional athletes received HGH is based on statements Charlie Sly, a pharmacist who once worked at an anti-aging clinic in Indiana, made and were recorded without his knowledge. Sly has since recanted his story.

  • Reds' Brandon Dixon: Traded to Reds

    Dixon was traded to the Reds on Wednesday as part of a three-team deal that also included the White Sox, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

    Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler will also be joining Dixon on the Reds in what was an unexpected three-team deal that was headlined by Cincinnati third baseman Todd Frazier being sent to the White Sox. Frazier clubbed 19 home runs while maintaining a .263/.303/.443 slash line across two minor league levels in 2015. He is a versatile defender with the ability to play second base, third base, and outfield, but he has yet to advance past Double-A in his young career.

  • Mets' Asdrubal Cabrera: Signs with Mets

    Cabrera agreed to a two-year contract with the Mets on Wednesday, Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reports.

    Cabrera will head to New York after spending one season with the Rays. He does not figure to play every day at shortstop for the Mets as long as Ruben Tejada and Wilmer Flores are also on the roster, but he could see some time at other infield positions as well.

  • Mets' Wilmer Flores: Injures ankle during winter ball

    Flores will not need surgery after fracturing a bone in his ankle while playing winter ball, Jared Diamond of The Wall Street Journal reports.

    Considering it was a non-displaced fracture, Flores is expected to be ready for spring training come 2016. The 24-year-old was in the running for the starting shortstop job, but with the Mets opting to tender a contract to the arbitration-eligible Ruben Tejada, both players now could have the opportunity to win the job outright heading into the regular season.

  • Ryan Howard 1B | COL

    Phillies' Ryan Howard: Could start against lefties again next season

    Manager Pete Mackanin said he has not yet decided if Howard (knee) will enter next season as a platoon player at first base, CSN Philadelphia reports.

    Mackanin started to sit Howard against lefties last August. Continuing that approach makes sense given Howard's struggles against lefties. The Phillies remain interested in trading Howard, but have been unable to find a trade partner. It seems likely Howard will open next season in a platoon with Darin Ruf at first base for the Phils.

  • Joey Votto 1B | TOR

    Reds' Joey Votto: Not waiving no-trade clause

    Votto will not waive his full no-trade clause.

    Votto picked up that no-trade clause with his 10-year, $225 million contract extension signed in 2012. "I absolutely love playing here," Votto said during Redsfest on Friday. "When all this trade stuff gets going, it's natural for a player to have that thought process and what would you consider? I just absolutely love playing here. I really like where I live. I like my team and my job.... I don't think of myself as anything other than a Cincinnati Red. It's one of the really cool things about having a no-trade clause."

  • Josh Bell DH | MIN

    Pirates' Josh Bell: Added to 40-man roster

    Bell was added to the 40-man roster Friday.

    Bell had a very impressive campaign once being promoted to Triple-A in 2015, slashing .347/.441/.504 in 35 games. The 23-year-old could make the big league roster at some point in 2016, but the move also ensures he'll be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

  • Dominic Smith 1B | ATL

    Mets' Dominic Smith: Suffers strained oblique

    Smith suffered a strained oblique muscle in the Arizona Fall League, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports.

    One of the club's top prospects, Smith had an impressive season with High-A St. Lucie in 2015, slashing .305/.354/.417 with six homers and 79 RBI in 118 games. The oblique injury shouldn't effect his availability for the spring, but it could end his AFL stint early.

  • Tommy Joseph 1B | TEX

    Phillies' Tommy Joseph: Removed from 40-man roster

    Joseph was outrighted off the 40-man roster Monday.

    Joseph struggled mightily at Triple-A this season, hitting just .193 in 45 games while missing three months with a concussion. The catcher-turned-first baseman hit just .209 in his only other Triple-A stint in 2013, but could get the chance to begin his 2016 campaign at the minors' highest level once again.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola