MLB Player News
-
Spencer Arrighetti SP | HOU
Astros' Spencer Arrighetti: Posts best big-league start
Arrighetti allowed two runs on four hits and three walks while striking out six batters over 5.2 innings in a no-decision against Cleveland on Thursday.
Arrighetti struggled with a trio of losses and a 10.97 ERA over his first three starts, but he was much more effective against the Guardians on Thursday. The right-hander went a season-high 5.2 frames and tied a season low with two runs allowed, falling just one out shy of a quality start. Despite the promising outing, Arrighetti could drop out of Houston rotation soon with Cristian Javier (neck) making progress toward a return from the injured list.
-
Gerrit Cole SP | NYY
Yankees' Gerrit Cole: Set for bullpen session
Cole (elbow) is expected to throw a bullpen session Saturday, Jon Heyman of the New York Post reports.
Cole will throw off a mound for the first time since being placed on the 60-day injured list with nerve irritation and edema in his right elbow in late March. The 33-year-old is reportedly targeting a return in "mid June," according to Heyman. The right-hander is eligible to be activated from the IL on May 27, but it appears as if he will remain sidelined for awhile longer than that. With his pedigree, it comes as no surprise that the Yankees are being cautious with their ace, who produced a 2.63 ERA with a 9.6 K/9 over 209 innings in 33 starts last year.
-
Tyler Wells RP | BAL
Orioles' Tyler Wells: Plays catch Wednesday
Manager Brandon Hyde said Wells (elbow) played catch Wednesday and will be sent in for additional testing, Jake Rill of MLB.com reports.
Hyde didn't specify whether Wells' upcoming tests were part of a pre-planned arrangement, or if the tests were ordered up because he didn't respond as well to playing catch as expected. Either way, Wells' status will be worth tracking in the days to come as he builds his way back up from right elbow inflammation. Wells is eligible to return from the 15-day injured list Friday, but his return shouldn't be viewed as imminent, considering that he hasn't resumed throwing off a mound since being deactivated.
-
Gavin Williams SP | CLE
Guardians' Gavin Williams: Resumes throwing
Williams (elbow) resumed throwing Thursday, Zack Meisel of The Athletic reports.
Williams was cleared by doctors to restart his throwing program Wednesday, and manager Stephen Vogt said the 24-year-old righty was able to get through his throwing session Thursday without any pain. Williams still has a long way to go in his rehab process, but he is certainly trending in the right direction after suffering a setback during a sim game April 20.
-
Carlos Rodon SP | NYY
Yankees' Carlos Rodon: Struggles in Baltimore
Rodon (2-2) took the loss Thursday against the Orioles, allowing seven runs (six earned) on eight hits over four innings. He struck out six.
After shutting out Baltimore through the first two innings, Rodon allowed three solo home runs between the third and fourth innings before the O's put up a four spot in the fifth, forcing the Yankees to turn to the bullpen. It's a deflating effort from Rodon, who'd allowed just one run over 13 innings in his previous two starts. His ERA is up to 3.68 on the season with a 1.28 WHIP and 36:14 K:BB in seven starts. Rodon will look to bounce back in his next outing, currently scheduled for next week against the Astros.
-
Cristian Javier SP | HOU
Astros' Cristian Javier: Slated for rehab assignment
Astros manager Joe Espada said Thursday that Javier (neck) will begin a rehab assignment over the weekend, Chandler Rome of The Athletic reports.
Espada didn't specify exactly when Javier's first rehab appearance will be, nor did he say how long the 27-year-old right-hander will remain in the minors. However, there had been speculation that Javier would be able to avoid a rehab assignment completely, so he may only need to make one start before returning to an Astros rotation that has already dealt with numerous injuries this season.
-
Kyle Bradish SP | BAL
Orioles' Kyle Bradish: Solid in season debut
Bradish did not factor into the decision Thursday against the Yankees, allowing one run on four hits and two walks over 4.2 innings. He struck out five.
Bradish had to contend with some traffic Thursday, though he'd ultimately hold the Yankees to one run on Anthony Rizzo's two-out RBI single in the third inning. Overall, it was an encouraging debut from Bradish after he'd missed the first month of the season with a partially torn UCL -- he averaged 95 mph with his sinker while inducing six whiffs on his slider, both in line with his numbers from last year. It remains to be seen how much deeper the Orioles will allow Bradish to work in his next start, which is tentatively scheduled for a road matchup with the Nationals.
-
Nathan Eovaldi SP | TEX
Rangers' Nathan Eovaldi: Exits with groin injury
Eovaldi was removed from his start Thursday against the Nationals with right groin tightness, Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports.
Eovaldi didn't look comfortable on the mound after making a pitch in the sixth inning, prompting a visit from the Rangers' training staff and his eventual removal. The severity of the veteran righty's injury remains unknown, but the team may provide more information after Thursday's game. Eovaldi threw 5.1 shutout innings while striking out eight batters before his early exit.
-
Nick Pivetta RP | SD
Red Sox's Nick Pivetta: Could return next week
Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Thursday that Pivetta (elbow) could rejoin the rotation next week during the team's May 7-8 series in Atlanta, Chris Cotillo of The Springfield Republican reports.
Pivetta is slated to make a rehab start with Triple-A Worcester on Thursday, and it appearance that will be the lone appearance before he rejoins the Red Sox' rotation. The right-hander has been on the shelf since early April with a right elbow flexor strain. Pivetta was excellent before getting hurt, allowing just one run with a 13:1 K:BB over 11 frames in his first two starts.
-
Brayan Bello SP | BOS
Red Sox's Brayan Bello: Making rehab start Tuesday
Bello (lat) will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland on Tuesday, Chris Cotillo of The Springfield Republican reports.
Bello resumed mound work this week as he comes back from right lat tightness and has now been cleared for game action. He's missed just two weeks of action, so Bello may need just the one rehab start if all goes well. That sets him up to return as soon as May 12 against the Nationals.