MLB Player News
-
Mikey Romero SS | BOS
Red Sox's Mikey Romero: Impresses coaches thus far
Red Sox manager Alex Cora on Thursday mentioned Romero as one of the players that has stood out in camp thus far, Jen McCaffrey of The Athletic reports. Most notable to the manager was that Romero used the offseason to bulk up, per Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
"You see the physicality of Romero," Cora said. "He's strong, stronger than last year. From me, I want to see him at second base and see how it plays out. He did an amazing job (adding strength) in the offseason." Romero had a fully healthy season in 2025, his first since being selected 24th overall in 2022. The 22-year-old infielder posted a .751 OPS with 17 home runs -- third most in the system -- over 111 games between stops at Double-A Portland and Triple-A Worcester while seeing time at second base, shortstop and third base. Second base was an unsettled spot for Boston last season, but either Marcelo Mayer or Caleb Durbin should handle those chores in 2026, with the other at third base. Romero, who currently does not have a spot on the 40-man roster, might put himself in contention for a call-up should the Red Sox have a need for an infielder.
-
Johan Oviedo SP | BOS
Red Sox's Johan Oviedo: Team wants more explosion
Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Thursday that coaches are working with Oviedo to be more explosive with his delivery, Christopher Smith of MassLive.com reports. "Just a big dude that we gotta get moving," Cora said of the 6-foot-6, 275-pound right-hander. "Not work faster as far as like tempo, but move faster. And I think we accomplished that today."
Oviedo threw a two-inning live batting practice Thursday, and the manager said he's getting closer to what coaches are looking for. Cora also raved about the right-hander's extension, but strike-throwing remains key for the hurler, whose first spring start is scheduled for Wednesday against the Twins. Oviedo appears to be the frontrunner for a spot at the back end of the rotation. One candidate, Kutter Crawford (wrist), could open the season on the injured list, and two others, Connelly Early and Payton Tolle, may begin the year at Triple-A Worcester. Left-hander Patrick Sandoval is also in the mix, but he missed all of 2025 with an elbow injury.
-
Jonathan Cannon P | CHW
White Sox's Jonathan Cannon: Competing for rotation spot
Cannon is competing for a rotation spot during spring training, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports.
Cannon began the 2025 season in the White Sox's rotation but was demoted to the bullpen and also had a stint in the minors in the second half of the campaign. Merkin suggests the White Sox have as many as 10 pitchers competing for rotation spots, and Cannon's chances of securing a role to begin the season may not be very strong after Chicago added Anthony Kay, Erick Fedde and Sean Newcomb this offseason. Nevertheless, Cannon will get his first chance to improve his chances in Friday's Cactus League debut against the Cubs.
-
Shane Bieber SP | TOR
Blue Jays' Shane Bieber: Throwing from 120 feet
Manager John Schneider said Thursday that Bieber (forearm) has progressed to throwing from 120 feet, Keegan Matheson of MLB.com reports.
The team has already confirmed that Bieber will begin the regular season on the injured list due to forearm fatigue -- something he pitched through during Toronto's playoff run in 2025. Schneider added that he expects Bieber to begin throwing bullpen sessions within the next two weeks, at which point more information may emerge regarding how much time the right-hander will miss to begin the new campaign.
-
Rafael Montero RP | NYY
Yankees' Rafael Montero: Delayed by visa issues
Montero has yet to report to the Yankees' camp due to visa problems, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports.
Montero inked a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training last week, but he's yet to report. It shouldn't greatly affect his preparation as long as his absence doesn't stretch on too long, but it will not help Montero's longshot bid to win a bullpen job.
-
James McArthur RP | KC
Royals' James McArthur: Will be eased in this spring
McArthur (elbow) is considered healthy but will be eased into a throwing program this spring, Jaylon T. Thompson of The Kansas City Star reports.
McArthur had surgery last offseason to insert two screws into his right elbow to help stabilize a stress fracture. He then had another procedure in July to remove the screws after they had caused an allergic reaction in his elbow. McArthur wound up not pitching at all in 2025, but he's been throwing off the mound for a few months. He was also diagnosed with a Grade 1 UCL sprain prior to the first elbow surgery, so it's no surprise the righty is being slow-played this spring after all the missed time. McArthur should have enough time to be ready for Opening Day if he can avoid setbacks.
-
Lucas Erceg RP | KC
Royals' Lucas Erceg: Throwing off mound in Royals camp
Erceg (shoulder) is throwing off the mound in Royals camp, Jaylon T. Thompson of The Kansas City Star reports.
Erceg's 2025 season ended in mid-September due to a right shoulder impingement, but he doesn't seem to have any restrictions in the early stages of spring training. The reliever collected a 2.64 ERA and 22 holds last season but saw a year-over-year drop in strikeout rate from 28.5 percent to 19.3 percent. As long as he's healthy, Erceg should produce more swing and miss in 2026 and will serve as a setup man ahead of closer Carlos Estevez.
-
Lane Thomas RF | KC
Royals' Lane Thomas: Fully healthy after foot surgery
Thomas said Thursday that he's fully healthy after surgery last September to address plantar fasciitis in his right foot, Sports Radio 810 WHB reports.
Thomas played only 39 contests in 2025 due to nagging plantar fasciitis issues before he eventually went under the knife, but he's full-go early on in Royals camp. Signed to a one-year, $5.25 million contract this offseason, Thomas could see the lion's share of playing time in left field for Kansas City this season. He'll have to prove he still has something in the tank, however, after hitting just .160/.246/.272 during his disastrous 2025 campaign.
-
Edwin Uceta RP | TB
Rays' Edwin Uceta: Headed to doctor after setback
Rays manager Kevin Cash said that Uceta (shoulder) will visit the doctor after he "didn't feel great" the longer he played catch Thursday, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
Uceta reported to camp with a sore shoulder and has now encountered a setback. More will be know following Uceta's visit to the doctor, but even if he doesn't have structural damage he will need time to get built up. A stint on the injured list to begin the season looks like a distinct possibility. Uceta, if healthy, is among the Rays relievers in the mix to serve as closer this season.
-
Justin Foscue 1B | TEX
Rangers' Justin Foscue: Trying to increase versatility
Rangers manager Skip Schumaker said Thursday that Foscue will be given some reps in the outfield during spring training, Shawn McFarland of The Dallas Morning News reports.
Foscue has played only in the infield both in college at Mississippi State and since entering pro ball, but increasing his versatility gives him a better chance to make the team in a reserve role. The 26-year-old has struggled mightily during his brief time in the majors, going 3-for-51 with a 2:21 BB:K.