NFL Player News

  • Jameis Winston QB | NYG

    Saints' Jameis Winston: Favorite for starting job

    Winston seems like the odds-on favorite to win the starting quarterback job over Taysom Hill this summer, Larry Holder of The Athletic reports.

    Even though the Saints turned to Hill as the starter last season when Drew Brees went down, that may have been at least partly a result of Hill having been part of the team's offensive system since 2017 while Winston had only been there for a matter of months. Now that Winston has considerably more experience in Sean Payton's scheme, it appears the 2015 No. 1 overall pick and true pocket passer is being viewed as the better long-term option for New Orleans to build around than the dual-threat Hill. However, the Saints aren't holding any on-field OTAs this year per Amie Just of NOLA.com, so there's not any tangible evidence that Winston is prepping for the top job. We should know more in late July when the Saints start training camp.

  • Mac Jones QB | SF

    Patriots' Mac Jones: Limps through practice

    Jones sported a compression sleeve on his lower right leg during Friday's OTA and was limping between periods, Jeff Howe of The Athletic reports.

    Jones was still able to complete the practice session and split reps with Jarrett Stidham under center during the second half of the session after Cam Newton left with a finger injury. The rookie doesn't seem to be dealing with a major issue at the moment, but he isn't operating at 100 percent either.

  • Jared Goff QB | DET

    Lions' Jared Goff: New OC tailoring offense to QBs strengths

    Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn is building a scheme around Goff's strengths that "will likely look much different" than what the QB ran with the Rams in recent years, Justin Rogers of the Detroit News reports.

    From a personnel standpoint, it would seem difficult for Lynn to replicate the Rams offense in the first place. However, it does seem like Goff is in for a change of pace after running a ground-based, play-action system in Los Angeles. In May, Lynn said that Detroit is preparing a "multiple offense with spread principles," per Kyle Meinke of MLive.com, while taking Goff's opinion into account of how the offense will work. Considering Goff averaged just 6.9 yards per pass attempt in shotgun last year, the results will be interesting, but Goff will at least have a couple of deep threats in Breshad Perriman and Tyrell Williams at his disposal after missing one the past couple of years (given Brandin Cooks was largely injured in 2019 before being traded in 2020). In addition to having stud tight end T.J. Hockenson, receiving back D'Andre Swift and fourth-round receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, Goff will also operate behind one of the most talented offensive lines after Detroit used the seventh overall pick on top-rated offensive line prospect Penei Sewell.

  • Kyle Allen QB | BUF

    Football Team's Kyle Allen: Hoping to be full-go by training camp

    Allen (ankle) is still not 100 percent in his recovery from a broken ankle suffered last October, Sam Fortier of The Washington Post reports.

    Allen said that he has been happy with how his rehab has gone to this point, but there are still other hurdles for him to overcome. The goal is for him to be able to be a full-go by the time training camp starts up. Allen played solidly at times last season, but will likely be third on the depth chart heading into the 2021 campaign behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke.

  • Josh Johnson QB | CIN

    Josh Johnson: Let go by 49ers

    Johnson was released by the 49ers on Tuesday, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports.

    The 35-year-old spent time on San Francisco's practice squad in 2020 and remained in the organization on a reserve/future contract. Johnson continues to bounce around the league and last saw game action during 2018 with Washington, when he completed 52 of 91 passes for 590 yards with three touchdowns and four interceptions in four games.

  • Tommy Stevens TE | NYG

    Tommy Stevens: Let go by Carolina

    The Panthers waived Stevens on Tuesday, Joe Person of The Athletic reports.

    The 24-year-old was promoted from the practice squad ahead of Week 17 and had four carries for 24 yards during his NFL debut against the Saints, filling a Taysom Hill-like role. Stevens, a seventh-round pick of the Saints last April, is once again in search of a new team ahead of training camp.

  • Aaron Rodgers QB | PIT

    Packers' Aaron Rodgers: Stuck in standoff with GM Gutekunst

    Packers GM Brian Gutekunst is "still holding firm" that he won't trade Rodgers, Matt Schneidman of The Athletic reports.

    Rodgers has neither confirmed nor denied asking for a trade, but there's little question he's upset with the Packers' front office, an outfit led by Gutekunst and team president Mark Murphy. The 37-year-old QB isn't with the team for voluntary OTAs, thus missing out on a $500,000 workout bonus. The Packers can fine him $93,085 if he misses all three days of mandatory minicamp June 8-10, plus $50,000 for each missed day of training camp later this summer. Rodgers seems to be angling for a trade -- and might even threaten retirement -- while Gutekunst still is trying to find a resolution that keeps the reigning MVP in Green Bay for at least one more season.

  • Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence: Not restricted at OTAs

    Lawrence performed well during this week's OTAs and did not seem to have any issue with his non-throwing shoulder, Nick Shook of NFL.com reports.

    Perhaps more importantly, head coach Urban Meyer suggested the No.1 overall pick was "not necessarily on a pitch count," further indicating Lawrence is not restricted in any way after undergoing surgery to address a torn labrum in his left shoulder. The Clemson product is expected to compete with Gardner Minshew for the starting role and likely should be considered the favorite for the job entering training camp.

  • Deshaun Watson QB | CLE

    Texans' Deshaun Watson: Remains away from team

    Watson isn't attending OTAs or team Zoom calls, NFL reporter Aaron Wilson reports.

    Even if he were to withdraw his trade request, Watson might not be permitted to rejoin the team, as he's facing 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct. He isn't likely to participate in any aspect of the Texans' offseason program.

  • Cole McDonald QB | ARI

    Cole McDonald: Time up in desert

    The Cardinals cut McDonald on Thursday, Kyle Odegard of the team's official site reports.

    The Cardinals now only have Colt McCoy and Chris Streveler behind Kyler Murray on the offseason roster. McDonald, who joined the NFL as a 2020 seventh-round pick of the Titans, will look to continue his development elsewhere.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola