MLB Player News
-
Jace Jung 2B | DET
Tigers' Jace Jung: Won't make Opening Day roster
Tigers manager A.J. Hinch told Jung on Thursday the infielder will not be part of the Opening Day roster, Evan Woodbery of MLive.com reports.
It never really seemed like a consideration, but Hinch apparently wanted to nip the possibility in the bud at the start of camp. Jung slashed .265/.376/.502 with 28 home runs between High-A West Michigan and Double-A Erie in 2023. He's played only second base in the minors so far, but Jung was used at third base in the Arizona Fall League and that appears to be his long-term home with Colt Keith settling in at the keystone. Detroit has a big hole at the hot corner, so it's possible Jung could push to debut in 2024 if he gets off to a nice start.
-
Luis Rengifo 2B | MIL
Angels' Luis Rengifo: Candidate to bat leadoff
Angels manager Ron Washington said Thursday that Rengifo and Mickey Moniak are candidates to bat leadoff, Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports.
The switch-hitting Rengifo is much better against left-handed pitching, so it might make sense to put him at the top of the order versus southpaws while Moniak bats leadoff against right-handers. Whichever of the two are in the leadoff spot will be followed by Nolan Schanuel, Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon. Rengifo might not have a set position for the Halos, but he should get lots of his starts at third base while Rendon serves as the designated hitter.
-
Cavan Biggio RF | HOU
Blue Jays' Cavan Biggio: Completes batting practice
Biggio (shoulder) was able to take a round of batting practice Thursday, Keegan Matheson of MLB.com reports.
Blue Jays manager John Schneider noted one week ago that Biggio was dealing with left shoulder tendinitis upon reporting to spring training, but the issue doesn't look to be anything too concerning. The fact that Biggio is already hitting without any apparent limitations bodes well for his chances of being available for Grapefruit League action in the near future, even if he's not included in the Blue Jays' initial spring lineups.
-
Christian Arroyo 2B | NYM
Brewers' Christian Arroyo: Getting look at third base
Brewers manager Pat Murphy said recently that Arroyo will receive the bulk of his reps this spring at third base, Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.
He'll also be mixed in at first base. Arroyo is capable of playing both middle infield spots, as well, but it sounds like his focus will be on the corners, and he could even push for ample playing time at a third base spot that's wide open for the Brewers. Also competing for starts at the hot corner along with Arroyo will be Andruw Monasterio, Joey Ortiz, Tyler Black and Owen Miller. Milwaukee is also giving Sal Frelick some reps at third base, although it doesn't appear he's a real candidate for starts there, at least not initially.
-
Nick Yorke 2B | PIT
Red Sox's Nick Yorke: Slated for work in outfield
The Red Sox will have Yorke work into outfield drills during spring training in an attempt to increase his versatility, Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reports.
Yorke is in big-league camp as a non-roster player, and while he doesn't have a realistic shot to make the team, he will get a chance to make an impression while also showing what he can do in the outfield. He has played second base exclusively so far in the minor leagues. A first-round pick in 2020, Yorke spent last season at Double-A Portland, slashing .268/.350/.435 with 13 homers and 18 steals across 506 plate appearances.
-
Jonathan India 2B | KC
Reds' Jonathan India: Utility transition begins
India (toe) took grounders at second and third base during the early days of spring training, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. He's also been exposed to the outfield.
India, who was Cincinnati's primary second baseman in 2023, was informed this offseason that Matt McLain (oblique) will see most of the opportunities at the keystone, leaving India to take on a utility role. That transition has begun. Reds manager David Bell said India will get opportunities at first base, second base, third base, left field and designated hitter. The 27-year-old India played third base in college, but the other fielding positions will be new.
-
Luis Rengifo 2B | MIL
Angels' Luis Rengifo: Deems himself fully healthy
Rengifo said Sunday that he is fully healthy after tearing his left biceps tendon last September, Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports.
Rengifo underwent surgery in mid-September last year following the biceps injury, and he was able to resume baseball activities in January. That allowed him to have a normal offseason in terms of training, and he said Sunday that he feels "really good." Rengifo is likely to fill a utility role for the Angels this year, but he should have an opportunity to play on a near-everyday basis as he looks to build upon his strong second half last season. Between the All-Star break and the biceps injury, Rengifo slashed .318/.374/.587 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI over 50 contests.
-
Gleyber Torres 2B | DET
Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Likely to bat in 4-to-6 range
Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Wednesday that he envisions Torres batting in the 4-to-6 range in the lineup, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.
Boone added that Torres could also fill in at leadoff on occasion. DJ LeMahieu appears to be the heavy favorite to open the season at the top of the batting order and will likely be followed by Juan Soto and Aaron Judge.
-
Jahmai Jones 2B | DET
Brewers' Jahmai Jones: Exits 40-man roster
The Brewers designated Jones for assignment Wednesday, Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.
Milwaukee needed to clear a spot on its 40-man roster after announcing the re-signing of Brandon Woodruff, and Jones ended up being the casualty. Jones, 26, has a career .460 OPS in 90 plate appearances across parts of three major-league seasons. His versatility could make him appealing to some clubs once he hits waivers.
-
Jose Caballero 2B | NYY
Rays' Jose Caballero: Still expected to be primary SS
Rays president of baseball operations Erik Neander said Tuesday that Caballero is still expected to be the Opening Day shortstop even after the addition of Amed Rosario, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
The Rays are viewing Rosario as more of a utility player than a regular at any one position. Acquired via trade from the Mariners in January, Caballero slashed .221/.343/.320 with four homers and 26 stolen bases over 104 games with Seattle in 2023. Taylor Walls (hip) will also eventually be in the mix for starts at shortstop, but he'll miss at least the first month of the season.