MLB Player News

  • Yankees' Jayvien Sandridge: Sent back to Triple-A

    The Yankees optioned Sandridge to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barres on Tuesday.

    Sandridge was called up to the Yankees for the first time in his career Thursday but did not take the mound during the 7-3 win over the Angels. The 26-year-old will have to wait until his next promotion to potentially make his major-league debut.

  • Adam Mazur P | MIA

    Marlins' Adam Mazur: Optioned to Triple-A

    The Marlins optioned Mazur to Triple-A Jacksonville on Thursday.

    Mazur struggled during his Marlins debut with four runs allowed in 5.2 innings Wednesday, and he'll now be sent back to Triple-A with Janson Junk due to join Miami's rotation. Robinson Pina was called up from Jacksonville in a corresponding move to bolster the team's bullpen depth.

  • Marlins' Robinson Pina: Officially promoted

    The Marlins selected Pina's contract from Triple-A Jacksonville on Thursday.

    After turning in a 3.47 ERA and 1.18 WHIP through 57 innings in Triple-A, Pina will now get a chance to prove himself worthy of a place in the Marlins' bullpen, which currently owns a 4.53 ERA on the year. Adam Mazur was optioned to Jacksonville to create a spot on the active roster for Pina, and Connor Gillispie was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man.

  • Yu Darvish SP | SD

    Padres' Yu Darvish: Another sim game on tap

    Darvish (elbow) is scheduled to throw another simulated game Friday, AJ Cassavell of MLB.com reports.

    The upcoming sim game will be Darvish's second in just under a week, as he previously threw approximately 40 pitches against live hitters Saturday. If all goes well during Friday's throwing session, Darvish could then be cleared to head out on a rehab assignment next week. The right-hander has been on the shelf all season due to elbow inflammation, but he looks like he could be ready to make his 2025 debut with the Padres at some point in late June or early July.

  • Didier Fuentes RP | ATL

    Braves' Didier Fuentes: Set to make MLB debut Friday

    Atlanta will call up Fuentes from Triple-A Gwinnett to make his major-league debut Friday with a start on the road versus Miami, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.

    Fuentes turned 20 years old Tuesday and has made only one start at the Triple-A level, but Atlanta will give him a spot start as they give their regular rotation members some extra rest. The young right-hander has made nine starts across three levels in 2025, collecting a 4.81 ERA and 48:12 K:BB over 39.1 innings. Fuentes boasts a 2.41 ERA and 23:4 K:BB over 18.2 frames covering his last four trips to the hill.

  • Michael King SP | SD

    Padres' Michael King: Likely to remain out through break

    Padres manager Mike Shildt implied Wednesday that King (shoulder) will remain on the 15-day injured list for the rest of the first half, AJ Cassavell of MLB.com reports. "I think that's pretty accurate," Shildt said, when asked if King would be out through the All-Star break. "I don't think we can begin to put a date on it. ... As we all know, the further away he is from it, the longer it takes to get back."

    Since being placed on the IL on May 25 due to a pinched nerve in his right shoulder area, King has shown only marginal improvement. Shildt said that at this stage, King remains limited to light throwing with plyometric balls and occasionally with baseballs, but he doesn't appear especially close to resuming mound work. A clear timeline for King's return from the IL likely won't emerge until he's further along in his throwing progression.

  • Aaron Nola SP | PHI

    Phillies' Aaron Nola: Moved to 60-day IL

    The Phillies transferred Nola (ankle/ribs) from the 15-day injured list to the 60-day IL on Thursday.

    The move clears a spot on the 40-man roster for infielder Buddy Kennedy, whose contract was selected from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. As a result of the transaction, Nola won't be eligible for activation until the first game after the All-Star break, but he had already effectively been ruled out until then anyway. The hurler initially went on the IL back in mid-May with a sprained ankle, but he's now recovering from a stress reaction in his right rib cage.

  • Marlins' Robinson Pina: Expected to be called up

    The Marlins are expected to call up Pina from Triple-A Jacksonville prior to Thursday's game against the Phillies, Kevin Barral of FishonFirst.com reports.

    Pina has made 11 starts and two relief appearances with Jacksonville this season, posting a 3.47 ERA and 54:15 K:BB over 57 innings. The 26-year-old appears poised for a long relief role and will be making his major-league debut when/if he gets into a game.

  • Brewers' Jacob Misiorowski: Next start coming Friday

    Misiorowski is slated to make his next start Friday against the Twins at Target Field.

    Misiorowski originally lined up to make his second MLB start Wednesday against the Cubs, but a postponement due to inclement weather foiled those plans. The Brewers and Cubs are making up the postponed game as part of an Aug. 18 doubleheader, and rather than pushing Misiorowski back a day to start Thursday's series finale at Wrigley Field, Milwaukee will instead have ace Freddy Peralta take the hill on five days' rest. Misiorowski won't be a major beneficiary in the change in opponent; the Cubs' offense (115 wRC+) has been more productive against right-handers than the Twins' offense (103 wRC+) this season, but Minnesota has performed better since the beginning of June after getting players like Byron Buxton and Matt Wallner back from the injured list.

  • Max Scherzer SP | TOR

    Blue Jays' Max Scherzer: Likely to return from IL next week

    Scherzer is dealing with some expected soreness in his right thumb following his rehab start Wednesday with Triple-A Buffalo, but he is likely to return from the 60-day injured list during the Blue Jays' series next week in Cleveland, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports.

    Scherzer threw 75 pitches in Wednesday's outing, striking out eight over 4.1 scoreless innings. While it's not ideal that he's experiencing discomfort in his right thumb the day after the start, the Blue Jays were anticipating that would be the case. As long as Scherzer gets through a bullpen session Saturday without any concerns, he'll be cleared to start against the Guardians, likely next Tuesday.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola