MLB Player News

  • Brandon Walter RP | HOU

    Astros' Brandon Walter: Gives up five runs in no-decision

    Walter did not factor into Thursday's decision against the Rockies, allowing five runs on eight hits while striking out three across five innings. He did not issue a walk.

    Walter entered Thursday's game with three quality starts over his last four outings, but he wasn't able to replicate that success in Colorado. He generated 13 whiffs on 91 pitches (62 strikes) but gave up at least one run in three of the five innings he pitched and avoided the loss only thanks to strong run support. Walter is now at a 4.15 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 33:2 K:BB over 34.2 innings this season, and he's lined up to face the Guardians at home next week.

  • Logan Evans RP | SEA

    Mariners' Logan Evans: Promotion made official

    The Mariners recalled Evans from Triple-A Tacoma ahead of his start against the Royals on Thursday.

    The 24-year-old righty will be taking the place of Emerson Hancock in Seattle's rotation, as the latter was optioned to Triple-A on Wednesday. Evans gave up eight runs in only three innings during his last start at Tacoma, but he'll have a good chance to bounce back Thursday against a Kansas City offense that is tied for 27th in MLB with a .662 OPS on the season.

  • Max Scherzer SP | TOR

    Blue Jays' Max Scherzer: Cleared to start Saturday

    Blue Jays manager John Schneider said that Scherzer (thumb/forearm) will start Saturday's game against the Angels, Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun reports.

    Scherzer battled right thumb fatigue and also some forearm tightness during his previous start in Monday's win over the Yankees. However, the 40-year-old was able to throw his between-starts bullpen session Thursday without any apparent issues, clearing the way for him to take his regular turn in the rotation Saturday. Scherzer's start against the Yankees was easily the best of his three this season for Toronto, as he struck out seven, didn't issue a walk and permitted just two runs over five innings. He threw only 71 pitches in that outing, however, and is unlikely to be ready to handle a full workload Saturday.

  • Doug Nikhazy P | CHC

    Guardians' Doug Nikhazy: Back in Cleveland

    The Guardians recalled Nikhazy from Triple-A Columbus on Thursday.

    Nikhazy was lit up during his lone MLB outing this season, giving up six runs on five hits and six walks in just three innings against the Red Sox on April 26. Since then, he's posted a 4.56 ERA and 1.46 WHIP over 49.1 frames at Columbus. The 25-year-old southpaw has worked exclusively as a starter this year, but with Joey Cantillo already slated to start Thursday in place of Luis L. Ortiz (personal), Nikhazy could be ticketed for a bullpen role. Kolby Allard was designated for assignment in a corresponding move.

  • Kodai Senga SP | NYM

    Mets' Kodai Senga: Could return before All-Star break

    Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Thursday that Senga (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment either Saturday or Sunday, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports.

    Senga could need just one rehab start before coming off the 15-day injured list and joining the Mets rotation. The club is hopeful that Sean Manaea (elbow/oblique) can make his season debut July 13, which likely sets Senga to rejoin the rotation July 12 in Kansas City if all goes well in his rehab outing. Senga has been sidelined since mid-June with a right hamstring strain.

  • Sean Manaea RP | NYM

    Mets' Sean Manaea: Making another rehab start

    Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Thursday that Manaea (elbow/oblique) will make one more rehab start Tuesday, Manny Gomez of NJ.com reports.

    If all goes well Tuesday, the Mets will likely bring Manaea back from the 60-day injured list to make his season debut July 13 against the Royals in the final game of the first half. The left-hander went three innings and threw 60 pitches Wednesday with Double-A Binghamton in his most recent outing. Manaea initially went on the injured list due to a right oblique strain, but more recently he's dealt with a loose body in his pitching elbow.

  • Brayan Bello SP | BOS

    Red Sox's Brayan Bello: Nabs win in suspended game

    Bello (4-3) allowed two earned runs on one hit and one walk over five innings out of the bullpen and scooped up a win in the Red Sox's 5-3 victory over the Reds on Wednesday in the continuation of a game that was suspended Tuesday. He struck out three batters in the 62-pitch appearance.

    Rather than having Bello start the regularly scheduled game for Wednesday, the Red Sox had the right-hander take the hill in the top of the fourth inning for the suspended game from Tuesday. Making what was his first relief appearance since 2022, Bello entered the contest with the Red Sox up 2-1, but Boston quickly fell behind after he served up a one-out, two-run home run to Spencer Steer in the fourth. Bello buckled down thereafter, however, retiring 13 of the final 15 batters he faced and inducing inning-ending double plays in the seventh and eighth. The Red Sox were able to plate the tie-breaking run in the bottom of the eighth to put Bello in line for the win before closer Aroldis Chapman finished out the contest with a scoreless ninth. Bello will return to a traditional starting role for his next appearance, which is expected to come during next week's series with the Rockies at Fenway Park.

  • Mets' Blade Tidwell: Relegated to Syracuse

    The Mets optioned Tidwell to Triple-A Syracuse on Thursday.

    Tidwell picked up his first career win in the big leagues Wednesday against the Brewers, but not before giving up three runs over 4.1 innings. The 24-year-old now owns a 9.00 ERA and 2.20 WHIP through 15 frames in the majors and will head back to Syracuse in order to right the ship.

  • Paul Blackburn SP | NYY

    Mets' Paul Blackburn: Placed on injured list

    The Mets placed Blackburn on the 15-day injured list Thursday, retroactive to Monday, due to a right shoulder impingement.

    Blackburn wasn't able to make it past the first inning of his last start -- partially because he had to sit for 89 minutes during a rain delay before coming out for the second frame, during which he allowed three runs on five consecutive hits. He also seems to have also come away from that outing with a shoulder injury, which will cause him to remain on the injured list through the All-Star break. He'll be joined on the IL by Dedniel Nunez (elbow), and the Mets will bring up Justin Hagenman and Rico Garcia to fill the openings on their pitching staff.

  • David Festa P | MIN

    Twins' David Festa: Yields four early runs in loss

    Festa (2-3) took the loss against the Marlins on Thursday, allowing four runs on five hits and one walk while striking out seven across six innings.

    Festa put the Twins behind early after yielding three runs in the first inning, highlighted by a two-run home run by Agustin Ramirez. Festa gave up another run in the third, but he settled in over his final three innings -- striking out six batters over that span -- yet didn't receive enough run support to fade the loss. He has a 7.28 ERA (in 29.2 innings) across six starts since being promoted from Triple-A St. Paul in early June, but that number is inflated by two outings in which he gave up eight runs apiece. Festa is slated to face the Cubs at home next week, which will likely be his last turn in the rotation before the All-Star break.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola