Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Pirates' Mason Montgomery: Fans two for fifth save of 2026

    Montgomery earned the save in Tuesday's 4-1 win over the Tigers, striking out two batters in a scoreless ninth inning.

    Braxton Ashcraft took care of business through the first eight innings on just 80 pitches, but the Pirates turned to Montgomery to keep the team's lead safe. The first batter reached base safely on a throwing error, but Montgomery proceeded to strike out the next two hitters he faced before closing the game with a groundout. He's earned the save in three of his last five outings and has not yielded a run over his last eight appearances. Montgomery has a 3.47 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across 49.1 innings this season.

  • Oneil Cruz CF | PIT

    Pirates' Oneil Cruz: Belts two-run homer in return

    Cruz went 1-for-3 with a two-run home run during the Pirates' 4-1 win over the Tigers on Tuesday.

    Cruz was activated from the 60-day injured list Monday, but he had to wait until Tuesday to make his return to the lineup. He made an immediate impact in his return with a two-run long ball in the fifth to put the Pirates up for good. It's a great sign for Cruz, who had been working his way back from a fractured left hand that he suffered in early June. His return is a significant boost for a Pirates team attempting to make a late surge to reach the postseason.

  • Pirates' Braxton Ashcraft: Cruises to 13th win

    Ashcraft (13-5) came away with the win against the Tigers on Tuesday, allowing one run on five hits while striking out four across eight innings. He did not issue a walk.

    Ashcraft set the tone Tuesday by retiring the first 10 batters he faced. He gave up a solo homer to Brett Callahan in the fifth, but that was the only blemish to Ashcraft's excellent night, with the latter tossing only 80 pitches (61 strikes) through eight innings while generating seven whiffs and 12 groundouts. It was a spectacular encore to his complete game this past Thursday against the Marlins, and Ashcraft sits at a 3.68 ERA and 1.08 WHIP over 149.1 innings this season. He's lined up to face the Padres on the road next week in what projects to be a two-start week for the 27-year-old right-hander.

  • Braves' AJ Smith-Shawver: Expected to stick in rotation

    Smith-Shawver is expected to remain in the Atlanta rotation beyond Wednesday's start against Minnesota, Gabe Burns of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

    Smith-Shawver has been limited to one major-league start so far this season, as he missed extended time at the start of the year while completing his recovery from Tommy John surgery. However, he will return to a big-league mound Wednesday, and Atlanta will move to a six-man rotation for the time being to accommodate the 23-year-old right-hander. Smith-Shawver had been pitching brilliantly for Triple-A prior to his promotion Tuesday, allowing just two earned runs with a 23:6 K:BB over his last 19.1 innings spanning four starts for Gwinnett.

  • Shohei Ohtani DH | LAD

    Dodgers' Shohei Ohtani: Could be ready for live BP

    Ohtani threw a scheduled bullpen session Tuesday which appeared to go well, Jack Harris of the California Post reports.

    Ohtani threw another bullpen following his last session Friday. The 32-year-old said Friday his left knee did not bother him during that day's activity, and he gave manager Dave Roberts a thumbs up following his session Tuesday. Considering his recent progress, facing live hitters may be on the horizon.

  • Edwin Diaz RP | LAD

    Dodgers' Edwin Diaz: Diagnosed with neck inflammation

    Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told reporters Tuesday that Diaz's placement on the 15-day injured list is due to neck inflammation, Jack Harris of the California Post reports.

    Diaz will head back to Los Angeles to undergo further tests for his neck issue Wednesday, and the initial expectation is that the right-hander will return this season, per Jack Harris of the California Post. Diaz saw his fastball velocity bottom out at 93 mph during Monday's outing against the Rockies, when he allowed three runs on four hits in one inning. Tanner Scott figures to serve as the Dodgers' preferred closer for as long as Diaz is sidelined.

  • Nick Gonzales 3B | PIT

    Pirates' Nick Gonzales: On bench Tuesday

    Gonzales is out of the lineup for Tuesday's game against the Tigers.

    Gonzales went 1-for-2 with two walks, a double and a run Monday after missing the previous two contests due to a facial contusion, which he sustained Friday on a hit-by-pitch. The 27-year-old will head to the bench Tuesday while Jared Triolo picks up a start at the hot corner while batting ninth.

  • Cubs' Daniel Palencia: Nearing return from IL

    The Cubs are expected to activate Palencia (elbow) from the 60-day injured list in the coming days, Taylor McGregor of Marquee Sports Network reports.

    The Cubs haven't committed to an exact date for Palencia to return from the IL, but manager Craig Counsell told reporters Tuesday the 26-year-old right-hander will be activated "soon." A right flexor strain has sidelined Palencia since mid-June, but he won't have a defined role upon his return, per Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com. It appears that, for now, the Cubs prefer keeping Jacob Webb as the main closer, with Palencia getting some work in high-leverage situations.

  • Mark Vientos 1B | NYM

    Mets' Mark Vientos: Close to rehab assignment

    Mets interim manager Andy Green said Tuesday that Vientos (hand) is "nearing" a rehab assignment, Michelle Margaux of SNY reports.

    Green wouldn't provide an exact date of when Vientos would embark on a rehab assignment. Nevertheless, it's a positive sign in the veteran infielder's progress in his recovery from a fractured right hand that caused him to go on the injured list right before the All-Star break in July. The Mets should have a better sense of when Vientos can return from the IL once he's officially cleared to play in minor-league games.

  • Edwin Diaz RP | LAD

    Dodgers' Edwin Diaz: Heading back to injured list

    The Dodgers are placing Diaz on the 15-day injured list Tuesday with an apparent upper-body injury, Katie Woo of The Athletic reports.

    The right-hander was activated from the injured list in late July after missing more than three months following surgery to remove loose bodies from his elbow, and he's now headed back to the shelf after surrendering 11 runs and blowing three of six save chances in nine appearances since returning. According to Jack Harris of the California Post, Diaz's fastball bottomed out at 93 mph in a low-leverage appearance Monday, when he gave up three runs on four hits in one frame. It's encouraging Diaz isn't believed to be dealing with an arm issue, but his return timeline will remain up in the air until more information is available on the injury.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola