MLB Player News
-
Tristan Beck RP | SF
Giants' Tristan Beck: Draws first spring start Wednesday
Beck, who made his first Cactus League start Wednesday against the Guardians, is still likely to begin the 2025 campaign as a long reliever, Jack Magruder of MLB.com reports. "We have a lot of really good arms. He's one of them," manager Bob Melvin said. "Maybe more long relief than starting right now with the guys we have a little bit ahead of him."
Beck allowed one run on one hit (a home run) over 2.2 innings while striking out three in the Giants' 11-2 win over Cleveland. Overall, Beck has made four appearances in Cactus League play, recording a 5.40 ERA while striking out four in 6.2 innings. The right-hander has mostly been used in relief over two seasons with San Francisco, though he could enter the starting rotation if injuries arise. The 28-year-old missed the majority of the 2024 campaign due to an aneurysm in his upper right arm that required surgery. Beck made seven appearances (one start) last season, recording a 1.69 ERA and a 14:4 K:BB across 16.0 innings.
-
Nick Mears RP | KC
Brewers' Nick Mears: Back in camp after illness
Mears is back in Brewers camp after battling a stomach bug that caused him to lose nine pounds, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports.
Mears suspects he will need 4-to-5 days in order to regain strength before he's ready to get back on a mound. He's already made three appearances this spring, so he won't be starting from scratch, which should allow the reliever time to ramp back up fore Opening Day.
-
Omar Cruz SP | SD
Padres' Omar Cruz: Optioned to minor-league camp
The Padres optioned Cruz to Triple-A El Paso on Thursday.
Cruz reached Triple-A for the first time last season, where he logged a 4.42 ERA and 1.47 WHIP over 38.2 frames. He performed a bit better in the Cactus League, surrendering just one run in five innings, but San Diego will need a larger sample size from him at El Paso before granting him a bullpen spot.
-
Tom Cosgrove RP | HOU
Padres' Tom Cosgrove: Optioned to Triple-A
The Padres optioned Cosgrove to Triple-A El Paso on Thursday.
Cosgrove never quite got his feet underneath him in the majors last season, turning in an 11.66 ERA and 1.98 WHIP across 14.2 regular-season innings. His struggles followed him into spring training, where he allowed seven runs in just 5.1 frames, so the Friars will keep him in the minor leagues for now.
-
Cody Bradford RP | TEX
Rangers' Cody Bradford: Slated for stint on IL
Rangers manager Bruce Bochy said Thursday that Bradford (elbow) will begin the season on the 15-day injured list, Kennedi Landry of MLB.com reports.
An MRI on Bradford's left elbow came back negative for structural damage, but he will be shut down for up to 10 days to allow the soreness to subside. The left-hander will need to rebuild his stamina after that, so it's possible he'll require longer than a minimum stay on the IL. Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker are the primary candidates to fill Bradford's slot in Texas' rotation.
-
Phil Maton RP | CHC
Cardinals' Phil Maton: Fully built up
Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol said Thursday that Maton is "fully built up" after working out the last several weeks in Arizona, John Denton of MLB.com reports.
Maton was signed to a one-year contract Thursday, just two weeks before Opening Day. However, it sounds like he'll be ready to roll for the Cardinals' March 27 opener against the Twins. Maton will throw a live batting practice session Sunday and should see game action shortly after that. He is projected for a setup role in St. Louis.
-
Sean Manaea RP | NYM
Mets' Sean Manaea: Begins throwing progression
Manaea was cleared to play catch earlier this week after an MRI on his right oblique was negative, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports.
With his oblique strain healed, the left-hander has begun his throwing progression. Manaea will need several weeks to get fully stretched out, but he could be ready to make his season debut sometime in April.
-
Bailey Horn P | DET
Cardinals' Bailey Horn: Loses 40-man spot
Horn was designated for assignment by the Cardinals on Thursday.
The 27-year-old southpaw endured a rough spring, allowing four runs on three hits and five walks while striking out one batter over 2.1 innings in the Grapefruit League. Horn will now be subjected to waivers and could attract interest from teams in need of lefty relief help. While he has mostly struggled against big-league competition, Horn put up a 2.15 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 21 appearances with Boston's Triple-A affiliate last season.
-
Phil Maton RP | CHC
Phil Maton: Lands in St. Louis
Maton signed a one-year, major-league contract with the Cardinals on Thursday.
Bailey Horn was designated for assignment to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Maton, who split last year between the Mets and Rays, posting a 3.66 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 60:24 K:BB over 64 innings during the regular season. The journeyman has reached double-digit holds in each of the last three seasons and could very well do so again in 2025 since he figures to slot in near the back end of the St. Louis bullpen.
-
Robert Suarez RP | ATL
Padres' Robert Suarez: Rough spring continues
Suarez allowed four runs on five hits and one walk over one-third of an inning in a Cactus League contest against Colorado on Wednesday.
Suarez entered in the fourth inning and surrendered a single to five of the first six batters he faced to allow the Rockies to plate three runs. The right-hander walked the final batter of his outing to load the bases before being pulled. Suarez has given up eight runs over 3.2 frames across five appearances this spring while posting a 4:4 K:BB, and it's worth noting that Suarez struggled with a 5.24 ERA over the final two months of the regular season last year. However, he's almost certain to open this season as San Diego's closer, with Jason Adam and Jeremiah Estrada next in line should Suarez's struggles continue beyond the exhibition slate.