MLB Player News

  • Indians' Francisco Lindor: Opening season on IL

    Lindor (calf) will open the season on the injured list, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports.

    It turns out Lindor, who is working his way back from a right calf strain, won't have enough time to get in shape before the start of the season. It's unclear how long he will remain on the shelf at this point, but the move can be backdated to March 25, making the shortstop eligible to return April 4 should he prove ready. While Lindor is sidelined, Max Moroff and Eric Stamets are candidates to see time at shortstop.

  • Tim Anderson 2B | LAA

    White Sox's Tim Anderson: Saving legs for regular season

    Anderson, who isn't attempting many steals this spring, said he's saving his legs for the regular season, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. "I've been practicing my jumps and breaking pitchers down whether I'm running or not. Use the legs when it really matters," said the shortstop.

    Anderson became the first White Sox shortstop to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in a season last year, and he plans to do more of the same despite attempting just one steal in the Cactus League. The 25-year-old swiped 26 bags in 2018 and could steal even more if he improves on a career .286 on-base percentage. That means taking more walks, something he started to do last year when walked 30 times, more than double the previous season.

  • Indians' Francisco Lindor: Status still uncertain

    Lindor (calf) met with the Indians' medical staff on Thursday, but his status for Opening Day remains uncertain, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports.

    Manager Terry Francona chimed in about Lindor's health, saying, "We are not going to slow him down on purpose, but we do want him to be able to play the season without dragging a leg around." Lindor recently ran at full speed and has also participated in minor-league games. With Opening Day a week away, Lindor will need to receive full clearance soon to avoid any missed action.

  • Carlos Correa SS | HOU

    Astros' Carlos Correa: Likely set as No. 5 hitter

    Correa is expected to slot in as the Astros' primary No. 5 hitter to begin the regular season, Jake Kaplan of The Athletic reports.

    Kaplan suggests the Astros' batting order for Wednesday's Grapefruit League game is a good representation of the lineup the team will trot out for Opening Day against the Rays on March 28. While Kaplan acknowledges it's possible that Correa and Michael Brantley could swap spots versus left-handed starters, manager AJ Hinch will likely keep the lefty-hitting Brantley as the cleanup hitter versus right-handed pitching. That arrangement would help alleviate some of the stacking of the team's right-handed bats, as George Springer, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman will fill the top three spots in the order.

  • Mariners' Dee Gordon: Leads off, steals base

    Gordon went 1-for-4 with a stolen base, run and RBI in Wednesday's 9-7 win over the Athletics in Japan in the season opener for both teams.

    With Mallex Smith (elbow) unavailable for the two contests in Tokyo, Gordon made for the most sensible choice for the leadoff role as the Mariners looked to get some speed atop the lineup. It didn't take long for him to put his wheels on display, as Gordon swiped second base in the third inning after singling to right field in his second at-bat of the contest. Smith could be ready to play once the Mariners resume regular-season action in North America on March 28, so Gordon may not necessarily be in line for an extended stint as the team's table setter.

  • Indians' Francisco Lindor: Ramping up running program

    Manager Terry Francona said Lindor (calf) ran at "almost, pretty much" full speed during a minor-league game Tuesday, Ryan Lewis of the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

    Lindor could be cleared to run the bases "full out" this weekend, which would be a significant step with Opening Day right around the corner. The 25-year-old has seen plenty of at-bats in minor-league games over the past week, but his running and defensive work have remained limited. The Indians have yet to rule out Lindor for Opening Day, but time is running out for him to gain full clearance.

  • Rangers' Chase d'Arnaud: Will open year in minors

    D'Arnaud will report to Triple-A to open the season, Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports.

    D'Arnaud hit a respectable .286/.444/.500 with a stolen base and a pair of extra-base hits in eight games this spring, but it wasn't enough for him to lock down a bench role. He'll remain in major-league camp for the time being.

  • Yu Chang SS | TB

    Indians' Yu Chang: Playing in minors game

    Chang (finger) is scheduled to play in a minor-league game Tuesday against the Reds.

    Prior to getting demoted from big-league camp last week, Chang had been nursing a minor finger injury. His return to action in a minor-league game suggests he'll enter the Triple-A Columbus season at full strength.

  • Bo Bichette 3B | NYM

    Blue Jays' Bo Bichette: Sent to minor-league camp

    Bichette was reassigned to minor-league camp Monday, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports.

    Bichette flashed his upside in camp, slashing .417/.475/.833 with four homers, five RBI and two stolen bases in 18 games, but the youngster was always expected to open the season in the minors given his lack of experience above Double-A. Assuming the 21-year-old holds his own following his jump to the highest level of the minors, Bichette could make his major-league debut as early as this summer.

  • Mariners' Dee Gordon: Goes deep in Japan

    Gordon hit a solo home run in a 6-4 exhibition victory over the Yomiuri Giants on Saturday in Tokyo, Japan, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports.

    Gordon is hitting .192 across 26 at-bats in Cactus League play, so Saturday's round tripper was a pleasant surprise. The veteran speedster is back to his natural position at second base this spring following a roller-coaster 2018, when he also played center field. He'll look to move his offensive numbers back up after a slight downturn in several categories during his first Mariners campaign. Gordon saw a 40-point drop in batting average (.308 to .268) from his final season in Miami in 2017, although his strikeout and contact rates essentially remained the same. However, his walk rate fell all the way to a minuscule and career-low 1.5 percent, which, when combined with a 50-point drop in BABIP, helps explain why Gordon was simply on base a lot less frequently last season.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola