Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Anthony Volpe SS | NYY

    Yankees' Anthony Volpe: April return 'definitely' possible

    Volpe (shoulder) said Tuesday that a return sometime in April is "definitely" possible, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.

    Volpe is working his way back from last October's labrum surgery on his left shoulder and is being eased into things in Yankees camp. The shortstop began his hitting progression with dry swings Monday and will move on to tee work and soft-toss next. Volpe will also need to show he's able to dive on his surgically repaired shoulder without issue, which he hopes to accomplish in a couple weeks. Randy Miller of NJ.com reported earlier this month that Volpe wouldn't be ready to make his season debut "at least until May," but the 24-year-old believes he can make it back quicker than that. Any timetable at this point is approximate, as Volpe still has several rehab hoops to jump through. Jose Caballero will handle shortstop for the Yankees until Volpe is ready.

  • Padres' Tirso Ornelas: Booted off 40-man roster

    The Padres designated Ornelas for assignment Tuesday.

    The club had to free up a spot on the 40-man roster for Griffin Canning (Achilles), whose signing was officially announced Tuesday. Ornelas did not appear to be in the Padres' immediate plans, but it's still a bit surprising that they elected to expose him to waivers. The 25-year-old outfielder went 1-for-14 during his brief time in the majors in 2025 but boasts a .291/.369/.465 slash line during his time at Triple-A El Paso.

  • Janson Junk RP | MIA

    Marlins' Janson Junk: Wearing boot after rolling ankle

    Junk was wearing a boot on his right foot after rolling his ankle Tuesday, Christina De Nicola of MLB.com reports.

    Initial testing on the ankle was good, and the Marlins are saying the boot is merely precautionary. Junk had been slated for a pitch-design session Wednesday, but he'll be evaluated by a doctor that day instead. Consider him day-to-day for now. The 30-year-old is competing for a spot in the Marlins' rotation but is more likely to fill a long-relief role.

  • Darren Baker 2B | WAS

    White Sox's Darren Baker: Inks MiLB deal with White Sox

    The White Sox signed Baker to a minor-league contract Tuesday, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

    Baker -- who did not receive an invitation to major-league camp -- slashed .256/.343/.318 with one homer and 26 steals in 107 games with Triple-A Rochester in the Nationals organization in 2025. The 27-year-old got a cup of coffee with the Nats in 2024, going 7-for-14 at the plate. Baker will give the White Sox some experienced infield depth at Triple-A Charlotte.

  • Brett Baty 3B | NYM

    Mets' Brett Baty: Recovering from tweaked hamstring

    Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Tuesday that Baty will be eased into spring training action after experiencing hamstring discomfort during offseason workout two weeks ago, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports.

    It doesn't sound like an overly serious issue for Baty, but the Mets are going to bring him along slowly early in camp. Baty figures to have a chance to beat out top prospect Carson Benge for the starting job in right field this spring, but if he doesn't, Baty is still projected to see plenty of playing time around the diamond in a utility role in 2026.

  • Luis Robert CF | NYM

    Mets' Luis Robert: Eased into action this spring

    The Mets will hold Robert out of the first few Grapefruit League games as he works on strengthening his lower body, Laura Albanese of Newsday reports.

    Per Will Sammon and Tim Britton of The Athletic, the center fielder won't see game action until the second week of the Grapefruit League schedule. Robert is healthy, but the club wants to be proactive given all the leg issues he's dealt with the last few years. The 28-year-old slashed only .223/.288/.372 while averaging 105 games played over his last two seasons with the White Sox, but he showed signs of life in the second half of 2025 with a .298/.352/.456 line before being shut down with a strained hamstring. Robert will be the Mets' everyday center fielder in 2026 for as long as he can stay healthy.

  • Astros' Colton Gordon: Uphill battle to make team

    Gordon is likely to open the season with Triple-A Sugar Land, Matt Kawahara of The Houston Chronicle reports.

    Gordon will start the Astros' Grapefruit League opener Saturday against Washington, though the left-hander is one of seven pitchers competing for Houston's final rotation spot. Gordon appeared in 20 MLB games, including 14 starts, as a swingman last season, posting a 5.34 ERA with a 1.42 WHIP and 7.5 K/9 across 86 innings.

  • Gavin Stone SP | LAD

    Dodgers' Gavin Stone: Throws bullpen Tuesday

    Stone (shoulder) threw a bullpen session at spring training Tuesday, Sonja Chen of MLB.com reports.

    Stone missed the entirety of the 2025 season while recovering from right shoulder surgery, but he's healthy entering camp, and Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes said over the winter that he expected Stone to be ready for spring training. Stone's presence on the mound confirms that, and the right-hander should have a normal buildup this spring. Stone is tentatively expected to begin the 2026 season in the minors.

  • Angels' Robert Stephenson: Throws first spring bullpen session

    Stephenson (shoulder) threw a bullpen session Tuesday, Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports.

    It's the first time throwing off a mound this spring for Stephenson. The righty missed all of 2024 and much of 2025 due to arm trouble and dealt with a nerve issue and thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms this offseason. Stephenson is a poor bet to stay healthy, but when he's on the active roster he'll be in the mix for high-leverage appearances.

  • River Ryan P | LAD

    Dodgers' River Ryan: Tosses bullpen session Tuesday

    Ryan (elbow) threw a bullpen session at spring training Tuesday, Sonja Chen of MLB.com reports.

    Ryan has had a relatively normal offseason after missing the entire 2025 campaign following Tommy John surgery, but it's at least worth noting his presence on the mound to begin camp. The 27-year-old made his MLB debut in 2024 for the Dodgers, making four starts, and produced a 1.33 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 18:9 K:BB across 20.1 innings. Ryan packed on 30 pounds while rehabbing in an effort to increase his durability. The right-hander is expected to open the 2026 campaign in the minors.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola