NFL Player News
-
Josh Allen QB | BUF
Bills' Josh Allen: Healthy for OTAs
Coach Joe Brady said Tuesday that Allen is "good to go" after the quarterback underwent foot surgery in the offseason, Sal Capaccio of WGR Sports Radio 550 Buffalo reports.
Allen reported soreness after Week 16 last season that eventually proved to be a fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot. The procedure was performed after the Bills' divisional-round loss in Denver, and he's on track for an expected recovery time of 8-to-10 weeks. Allen is coming off another fantastic season in which he completed a career-best 69.3 percent of his passes for 3,668 yards, 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while rushing 112 times for 579 yards and 14 more TDs in 17 regular-season games. Now that his health isn't a concern, he can begin building chemistry with the Bills' most notable offseason addition, wideout DJ Moore.
-
Michael Penix Jr. QB | ATL
Falcons' Michael Penix: Taking part in 7-on-7s
Penix (knee) will participate in 7-on-7s and individual drills Tuesday, Marc Raimondi of ESPN.com reports.
Practices in May are no-contact, and mostly at less than full speed. It's nonetheless a good sign for Penix to be on the field in any fashion less than six months removed from surgery to repair the third ACL tear of his football career. Falcons coach Kevin Stefanski hinted at a return to full-team drills in the not-so-distant future, but that doesn't necessarily mean Penix will be cleared for contact during training camp in late July. Stefanski also mentioned that the team will be "very intentional" about splitting reps between Penix and Tua Tagovailoa, per Tori McElhaney of the team's official site. The Falcons have made it clear they signed Tagovailoa to compete for the starting job, even if Penix clears all medical hurdles long before Week 1.
-
Taysom Hill QB | NO
Taysom Hill: Unlikely to return to NOLA
Saints GM Mickey Loomis said Monday that the team has not offered Hill a contract to return to New Orleans, Ross Jackson of WWL Louisiana reports.
It appears the team is moving on from the 35-year-old fan favorite. Hill has spent all nine seasons of his career with the Saints as a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type of player who saw snaps at quarterback, running back, wide receiver and tight end across 118 career regular-season games. The free agent hasn't drawn any known interest this offseason after appearing in 13 contests last regular season. He rushed 52 times for 114 yards and one touchdown, averaging a career-low 2.2 yards per carry after averaging at least 5.0 yards per attempt in each of his previous eight campaigns.
-
Jacoby Brissett QB | ARI
Cardinals' Jacoby Brissett: Not present for voluntary OTAs
Brissett was not present for the start of voluntary OTAs on Monday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
The veteran quarterback has stayed away from the team this offseason, as he's seeking a raise for the 2026 campaign. Coming off a career year in 2025, which saw Brissett complete 315 of 485 passes (64.9 percent) for 3,366 yards, 23 touchdowns and eight interceptions, the 33-year-old is looking for more money and possibly more years on his contract. Brissett currently is scheduled to collect $5.44 million in 2026, which would put him 26th at the quarterback position. There's been no indication that Arizona is actively discussing a new deal with Brissett. The Cardinals are in a full-blown rebuild and used a third-round pick on Carson Beck last month after signing Gardner Minshew in free agency. Even if Brissett opens the season as Arizona's starter, there's a good chance Beck makes rookie-year starts.
-
Drew Allar QB | PIT
Steelers' Drew Allar: Participating on first day of OTAs
Allar (ankle) was the fourth quarterback through drills Monday on the first day of OTAs, Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com reports.
Recently signed veteran Aaron Rodgers took first-team reps, followed by Will Howard, Mason Rudolph and Allar. While Allar is starting at the bottom of the quarterback pecking order, it's nonetheless encouraging to see the rookie third-round pick on the field, which suggests that Allar has recovered from November surgery on a broken left ankle, which ended his final season at Penn State.
-
Will Howard QB | PIT
Steelers' Will Howard: Slides down spot with Rodgers back
Howard's chances of starting in 2026 have diminished, as Aaron Rodgers signed a one-year contract with the Steelers on Monday.
Prior to Rodgers re-signing, Howard was in position to compete for a starting role against veteran Mason Rudolph and rookie third-round pick Drew Allar (ankle). Rodgers is comfortably situated atop the quarterback depth chart now that the 42-year-old starter has returned to Pittsburgh for the start of OTAs, while Howard will have to jostle for positioning on the depth chart and could realistically miss out on making the team at all.
-
Mason Rudolph QB | PIT
Steelers' Mason Rudolph: Out of 2026 starting mix
Rudolph will be relegated to a backup role again in 2026, as Aaron Rodgers signed a one-year contract with the Steelers on Monday.
Rodgers will reclaim the starting role he possessed in 2025, leaving Rudolph to battle for the second spot on the depth chart with 2025 sixth-round pick Will Howard and 2026 third-round pick Drew Allar (ankle). If one of the younger quarterbacks shows promise in training camp, the Steelers could also opt to trade Rudolph to a team seeking an experienced backup. Rudolph has posted a 9-9-1 record in 19 regular-season starts split between the Steelers and Titans, including a loss in his lone start of 2025 with Pittsburgh while Rodgers was sidelined by a wrist injury.
-
Aaron Rodgers QB | PIT
Steelers' Aaron Rodgers: Makes deal with Steelers official
Rodgers officially signed a one-year contract with the Steelers on Monday.
Rodgers is back in Pittsburgh on a one-year deal heading into his 22nd NFL campaign. The 42-year-old quarterback is participating Monday on the first day of the team's OTAs. Rodgers threw for 3,322 yards and a 24:7 TD:INT while posting a 10-6 record in 16 regular-season starts for the Steelers in 2025. In addition to replacing head coach Mike Tomlin with Mike McCarthy, the Steelers bolstered their wide receiver room in the offseason by trading for Michael Pittman and drafting Germie Bernard in the second round.
-
Aaron Rodgers QB | PIT
Steelers' Aaron Rodgers: Slated to return to Pittsburgh
Rodgers and the Steelers are expected to agree on a one-year contract, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The deal will be worth up to $25 million, according to Schefter.
Rodgers has been linked to a return to Pittsburgh throughout the offseason, and the Steelers emphasized their desire to bring the veteran QB back when they placed a right-of-first-refusal UFA tender on him in late April. Rather than sign that tender, Rodgers will return on a freshly negotiated one-year deal. He's slated to serve as the team's starting QB for a second straight campaign after leading Pittsburgh to the playoffs last season and throwing for 3,322 yards with a 24:7 TD:INT while completing 65.7 percent of his pass attempts over 16 regular-season games.
-
Brady Cook QB | NYJ
Jets' Brady Cook: Facing competition for QB2 spot
Cook is set to compete with rookie fourth-round pick Cade Klubnik for the second spot on the Jets' quarterback depth chart behind Geno Smith, Zack Rosenblatt of The Athletic reports.
Cook got to audition as the Jets' starting quarterback down the stretch in 2025, but the undrafted rookie out of Missouri struggled to a 2:7 TD:INT across five appearances (four starts). The Jets traded for Smith and have already proclaimed the veteran to be their starting quarterback. They also drafted Klubnik out of Clemson, who has thrown the ball well in drills and impressed with his leadership skills. The team could still opt to bring in a veteran backup QB, but as things stand, Cook should get a chance during training camp and the preseason to compete for the top backup role against Klubnik and Bailey Zappe.