MLB Player News
-
Adam Frazier 2B | LAA
Orioles' Adam Frazier: Heads to Baltimore
The Orioles signed Frazier to a one-year, $8 million contract Thursday, Jon Heyman of the New York Post reports.
Frazier's poor contract year with the Mariners, in which he posted a career-worst .612 OPS in 156 games, results in a modest free-agent deal. The 31-year-old figures to get regular playing time in Baltimore and plenty of opportunities to return to his 2021 form. In that season he slashed .305/.368/.411 with the Pirates and Padres. Frazier also provides a bit of value on the bases, as he's stolen 21 bases over the last two seasons.
-
Jonathan India 2B | KC
Reds' Jonathan India: Sticking at second base
The Reds have no plans to move India (foot) off second base, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports. "(India) was in Cincinnati last weekend running sprints, and he looked better than he did the entire year last year," manager David Bell said. "He's a young player. He's plenty athletic. He's determined to kind of maximize his range. In my mind, he's our second baseman right now."
Keep in mind that India was originally a third baseman that was converted into a second baseman during the 2020 season at the Reds' alternate training site. The new anti-shift rules might discourage some players from playing premium defensive positions, but the Reds are committed to keeping India at second base.
-
Owen Miller 2B | CHC
Brewers' Owen Miller: Heading to Milwaukee
Miller was traded from the Guardians to the Brewers on Wednesday in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Miller appeared in 130 games for Cleveland last year and slashed .243/.301/.351 with six homers, 53 runs, 51 RBI and two stolen bases. He played at first base, second base, third base and served as a designated hitter in 2022, and he'll likely have a better chance to carve out playing time in Milwaukee since Kolten Wong was traded to the Mariners in early December.
-
Rylan Bannon 2B | NYM
Astros' Rylan Bannon: Picked up by Houston
The Astros claimed Bannon off waivers from the Cubs on Friday, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Two weeks after being claimed by the Cubs from Atlanta, Bannon will now be on the move to Houston. Bannon did well during his time in Triple-A last season, though it's hard to imagine him getting consistent playing time in the Astros' star-studded infield. If anything, he'll compete with Mauricio Dubon and David Hensley for reps as a backup infielder.
-
Franklin Barreto LF | BAL
Nationals' Franklin Barreto: Joins Washington in MiLB deal
Barreto agreed to a minor-league contract with the Nationals on Thursday, Jon Heyman of the New York Post reports.
Barreto joined the Astros on a minors deal for 2022 and had a .162/.259/.274 slash line in 73 games at the Triple-A level before he was released in August. The 26-year-old will need a significant turnaround to have a chance of seeing the majors in 2023.
-
Jose Rodriguez 2B | PHI
White Sox's Jose Rodriguez: On track for spring training
White Sox assistant general manager Chris Getz said that Rodriguez (hand) is on track to be ready for spring training, James Fegan of The Athletic reports. "There certainly wasn't a hotter hitter in our system than Jose Rodriguez right before breaking his hamate bone [in an Aug. 20 game]," Getz said. "He's doing normal baseball activities right now, and he'll do that for a little bit longer. But he undoubtedly will be ready to go in spring training and show us what he's capable of doing."
Rodriguez was one of the more notable prospects that the White Sox added to their 40-man roster earlier this month. Before he was shut down for the season in late August after fracturing the hamate bone of his left hand on a home-run swing, Rodriguez produced a .280/.340/.430 slash line across 483 plate appearances at Double-A Birmingham. Though the second baseman looks like he'll get the opportunity to join big-league camp and theoretically compete for a spot on the White Sox's Opening Day roster, Rodriguez is more realistically headed for Triple-A Birmingham to begin the 2023 campaign.
-
Vinny Capra 3B | BOS
Blue Jays' Vinny Capra: Re-ups with Toronto
Capra re-signed Sunday with the Blue Jays on a minor-league contract, Robert Murray of FanSided.com reports.
Non-tendered by Toronto just a few days ago, Capra will rejoin the Blue Jays, albeit no longer as a member of the 40-man roster. His minor-league deal presumably includes an invitation to big-league spring training, where he'll be vying for a reserve spot in an outfield that no longer includes Teoscar Hernandez, Raimel Tapia or Bradley Zimmer. Capra appeared in eight games for the big club in 2022 but otherwise spent the majority of the campaign at Triple-A Buffalo, where he produced a .789 OPS over 225 plate appearances.
-
Vinny Capra 3B | BOS
Vinny Capra: Non-tendered by Toronto
The Blue Jays declined to tender Capra a contract for 2023.
Capra got his first look in the big leagues last season but saw most of his action with Triple-A Buffalo, hitting .283/.378/.403 in 52 games before undergoing left middle finger tendon surgery. He doesn't have pedigree on his side as a 20th-round pick in 2018. Capra will have to prove his health and fight for additional MLB opportunities.