MLB Player News
-
Sam Haggerty LF | TEX
Mariners' Sam Haggerty: Resumes baseball activities
Haggerty (groin) has resumed baseball activities, Ryan Divish of The Seattle Times reports.
Divish reports that Haggerty underwent surgery to repair a Grade 2 adductor strain, but the Mariners aren't confirming the operation. The 28-year-old was a pleasant surprise for Seattle in 2022 before the injury, contributing a .738 OPS with five homers and 13 stolen bases in 14 attempts over 201 plate appearances. If healthy, Haggerty should be a utility option for the Mariners in 2023 with the ability to play all three outfield spots with some history at both second and third base.
-
Luis Arraez 2B | SF
Marlins' Luis Arraez: Wins arbitration case
Arraez won his arbitration case against the Marlins and will earn $6.1 million in 2023, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports.
Before they traded him to Miami last month, the Twins had filed at $5 million. That figure carried over through the deal and Arraez ultimately came out on top through the arbitration process. The 25-year-old infielder led all American League hitters in batting average (.316) last season and projects to serve as the everyday leadoff man for the Marlins in 2023.
-
Sam Haggerty LF | TEX
Mariners' Sam Haggerty: On track for spring training
Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto said Wednesday that Haggerty (groin) should be healthy for the beginning of spring training, Ryan Divish of The Seattle Times reports.
Haggerty injured his groin near the end of the 2022 regular season and missed Seattle's five-game postseason run. With a .738 OPS and 13 stolen bases in just 201 plate appearances, Haggerty was a valuable depth outfielder for the Mariners and figures to fill a similar role this coming season.
-
Nate Mondou 2B | CHW
White Sox's Nate Mondou: Signs on with White Sox
Mondou signed a minor-league contract with the White Sox on Tuesday.
Mondou got his first cup of coffee as a 27-year-old with the Athletics last season, appearing in one game. He put up an .805 OPS with seven home runs over 449 plate appearances at Triple-A Las Vegas in 2022 while seeing starts at five different positions. Mondou will give the White Sox some utility depth.
-
Jorge Polanco 1B | NYM
Twins' Jorge Polanco: Says knee is ready to go
Polanco says he's ready to go for spring training after missing the last month of the 2022 season due to a knee injury, Dan Hayes of The Athletic reports.
Polanco missed a week with patellar tendinitis before he landed on the injured list Sept. 3. He then worked his way back to playing minor-league games before a setback in late September. It sounds like he just needed some rest to get back to full strength, but watch his status early in spring training. His injury risk has become a concern after a chronic ankle injury also hindered his 2020 season.
-
Miguel Vargas 3B | CHW
Dodgers' Miguel Vargas: Could start at second base
Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman said Sunday that Vargas could open 2023 as the club's primary second baseman, Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports.
The 23-year-old had a .455 OPS across 18 games in his first taste of big-league action in 2022, but he could be an Opening Day starter for Los Angeles this year following the offseason departures of Trea Turner and Justin Turner. Vargas is the organization's top prospect, and it appears he'll enter spring training with a leg up for playing time over veteran Miguel Rojas, who would fill an infield utility role after being acquired from the Marlins.
-
Gleyber Torres 2B | DET
Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Avoids arbitration
Torres agreed to a one-year, $9.95 million contract with the Yankees on Saturday to avoid arbitration, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports.
It's the penultimate year of arbitration eligibility for Torres, and he'll receive a nice raise after he made $6.25 million in 2022. The 26-year-old rebounded at the plate last season with a .257/.310/.451 slash line and 24 home runs after he struggled to a .697 OPS in 2021.
-
Jeff McNeil 2B | ATH
Mets' Jeff McNeil: Signs extension with New York
McNeil signed a four-year, $50 million contract extension with the Mets on Friday to avoid arbitration, Jeff Passan of ESPN.com reports.
After slashing .326/.382/.454 across 589 plate appearances last season, the reigning NL batting champion earned himself a nice raise from his $3 million salary in 2022. The deal reportedly includes a fifth-year club option, which could bump the total value of the deal up to $63.75 million.
-
Zach Remillard 2B | CHW
White Sox's Zach Remillard: Returns to White Sox as NRI
Remillard re-signed with the White Sox on a minor-league contract Friday.
Remillard had reached minor-league free agency, but he'll return to the White Sox and be given an invitation to major-league spring training. The 28-year-old spent 2022 at Triple-A Charlotte, posting a .773 OPS with nine homers and 19 stolen bases. He'll compete for a reserve role but is almost certainly headed back to Charlotte to begin 2023.
-
Ozzie Albies 2B | ATL
Braves' Ozzie Albies: Going through normal offseason
Albies hasn't had any restrictions this offseason after fracturing his pinky finger in mid-September, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.
Albies missed the remainder of the regular season as well as Atlanta's lone playoff series, though he said Saturday that he would have been ready to go had the team advanced to the NLCS. The 26-year-old is coming off a down season in which he hit .247/.294/.409 and was limited to just 64 games due to the broken pinky and a broken foot. He can seemingly be considered fully healthy heading into camp.