Skip to Main Content

NFL Player News

  • Kaleb Johnson RB | PIT

    Steelers' Kaleb Johnson: In danger of being cut

    The Athletic's Mike DeFabo believes Johnson is in real danger of being cut by the Steelers prior to the start of the regular season.

    "Cutting a third-round pick one year after he's drafted would be a tough look for the Steelers, but it sure seems to be trending that direction based on the way the carries have been split in practices and in the first preseason game," DeFabo wrote Wednesday. While Jaylen Warren and Rico Dowdle rested, Johnson played behind both Travis Homer and Lew Nichols in the preseason opener last week and didn't see his first carry until the third quarter. He's buried on the depth chart and continues to make mistakes on special teams, as Johnson was seen getting chewed out on the sideline by special teams coordinator Danny Crossman against Green Bay last Thursday. Considering Johnson doesn't excel on special teams, and Homer does as the person protector on the punt team, the 2025 third-rounder Johnson may be on the outs with the new coaching staff. It might be best for Johnson to get a fresh start elsewhere after playing just 51 offensive snaps across 10 regular-season appearances as a rookie last season.

  • Trey Amos CB | WAS

    Commanders' Trey Amos: Still not ready

    Amos (ankle) is getting healthier but is not ready to return to the field at this point, Tashan Reed of The Washington Post reports.

    The cornerback fractured his fibula last year, and his current ankle sprain is on the same leg, per Reed. Amos has not practiced since suffering this latest injury Aug. 10. If he can't return in time for the start of the regular season, Rasul Douglas would likely be the next man up at left cornerback.

  • Browns' Quinshon Judkins: Injury downplayed by Monken

    Judkins (undisclosed) didn't practice Thursday, but coach Todd Monken said afterward that the running back is tending to "a little something nagging, nothing big," Kelsey Russo of the Browns' official site reports.

    Judkins has missed back-to-back sessions due to an unspecified injury, but considering Monken's comment, the Browns nonetheless are taking a cautious approach with the second-year pro. As a rookie second-round pick in 2025, Judkins tallied 230 carries for 827 yards and seven touchdowns while hauling in 26 of 36 targets for 171 yards in 14 regular-season games before suffering a dislocated right ankle and broken right fibula Week 16 that required surgery. He was taking 11-on-11 drills as of mid-May and otherwise was back to 100 percent before the recent setback, health-wise. It's unclear if Judkins will suit up for Saturday's preseason contest against the Bills as a result.

  • Puka Nacua WR | LAR

    Rams' Puka Nacua: Still sidelined at practice

    Nacua was a non-participant at Thursday's joint practice with the Saints, Stu Jackson and Zach Edwards of the Rams' official site report.

    Nacua has been a spectator at practice since departing last Tuesday's joint session with the Cowboys early, eventually getting diagnosed with soreness in his psoas. On Monday, coach Sean McVay said Nacua may not return to practice until next week, which now will be his next chance to mix back into drills. The Rams likely will continue to take it easy with Nacua to ensure he's healthy for a Week 1 matchup with the 49ers in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday, Sept. 10.

  • Falcons' Michael Penix: Meeting with doctor for health checkpoint

    Penix said that he's meeting with his doctor Thursday to see where his left knee stands, William McFadden of the Falcons' official site reports.

    So far in training camp, Penix has been capped to 7-on-7 drills as he works his way back from the torn ACL he suffered in his left knee Week 11 of last season. He noted that he's hoping to gain clearance, likely for 11-on-11 work, during Thursday's check-up, but he's unsure that'll occur. In any case, Penix continues to make progress in his recovery, but his limitations in practice seemingly has him behind Tua Tagovailoa in the competition to be the Falcons' starting QB to begin the campaign.

  • Carson Beck QB | ARI

    Cardinals' Carson Beck: 'Most likely' won't play Saturday, per LaFleur

    Coach Mike LaFleur said Beck (ribs) "most likely" won't suit up for Saturday's preseason contest against the Cowboys, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com reports.

    Beck impressed in the Hall of Fame Game against the Panthers, completing 15 of 19 passes for 188 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions. However, he emerged from the contest with a rib injury, and the extent of his activity level since then has been individual drills. LaFleur added that Beck will throw after Thursday's practice, which will give the Cardinals a sense of where he stands in his recovery.

  • Cardinals' Jacoby Brissett: Won't play in Saturday's preseason contest

    Coach Mike LaFleur said Thursday that Brissett won't suit up for Saturday's preseason game against the Cowboys, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com reports.

    After a crisp preseason Week 1 in which he competed all five of his passes for 44 yards and one touchdown last Thursday at Las Vegas, Brissett will take a seat for the Cardinals' second exhibition, ceding the start to backup QB Gardner Minshew. Meanwhile, Carson Beck "most likely" won't be healthy enough to play through his rib injury, meaning Minshew and Kedon Slovis will handle signal-caller duties Saturday. After inking a reworked contract with Arizona in late July, Brissett again will lead the offense come Week 1.

  • Chiefs' Brashard Smith: Listed fourth on initial depth chart

    Smith is listed as the No. 4 running back on the unofficial depth chart Kansas City released ahead of the preseason, Pete Grathoff of the Kansas City Star reports.

    Smith has his work cut out for him to earn a role on offense, though the pecking order between Emari Demercado, Emmett Johnson and Smith is far from set in stone behind lead back Kenneth Walker. Even if Smith fails to move up the depth chart, he has a decent chance of making the 53-man roster thanks to his contributions on special teams. General manager Brett Veach said that Smith "adds value as a dynamic speed element and his return game as a punt kick returner."

  • Chiefs' Emari Demercado: Battling Johnson and Smith for RB2 spot

    Demercado is listed as the No. 2 running back on the unofficial depth chart Kansas City released ahead of the preseason, Pete Grathoff of the Kansas City Star reports.

    "Demercado is a veteran guy that has always been good in the pass protection game, and he's a reliable receiver," general manager Brett Veach said of the free-agent signing. The signing of Demercado was overshadowed by the addition of Kenneth Walker, who is expected to work as the team's lead back, but Veach's comments suggest Demercado could mix in for third downs and other passing situations. Rookie fifth-round pick Emmett Johnson and 2025 seventh-round pick Brashard Smith could challenge Demercado for the top backup spot.

  • Raiders' Fernando Mendoza: In line to see first-half action Thursday

    Mendoza is expected to play the first half of Thursday's preseason game against the Texans, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

    Mendoza will start Thursday and play roughly half the game, after which point Aidan O'Connell is scheduled to come in. This will be Mendoza's first start at the professional level, as Kirk Cousins started the preseason opener against Arizona before Mendoza threw for 97 yards and a touchdown in relief. Cousins remains the favorite to begin the regular season as the starter over the rookie first overall pick.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola